1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walmart and more

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kramer56, Feb 12, 2010.

1. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

OK here is the thing, I have been pputting off the big commercial lots that I have always wanted to try like Walmart Kohls Lowes etc. I guess my thing is that how do i go about bidding something like that. I know most are like year round service which is fine I am up for that. How is the figureing on how to come up with numbers and charging extra for special stuff and things like that. I don't have any l;arge equipment but have talked about rentals of loaders and backhoes and tractors but no prices yet(if anyone has a ball park monthly lease # on a loader that would be helpful). There are 3 walmarts withing 30 minutes of each other and i am really interested on seeing how to bid it and what the prices should be close to for a profit. Anyone out there willing to share some bidding techniques and some possible numbers to even see if I been thiunking correctly. also the dos and donts in the contracts for these kinds of lots would be great as well. Am I asking too much or is this the right place to start?

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Call US maintenance, they will be happy to give you a Walmart :laughing::laughing::laughing:

3. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

LMAO i new that was coming, i used them casue they all have similar lots all over the country. I just was looking for the expected work to be done and how to bid that kind of work thats all, love the comment
    lol

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

5. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I will be buying that program

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Have you seen it before cuz I like it the first time I used it, I didn't realy understand why they had a powerwashing one

7. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Typical backhoe rental per month for winter rentals in my area, which isnt far from you I think is about $1500.00 a month.

Those large stores almost all go through a major national company. Springwise (USM), Lipinski, Brickman has/had a few, etc

8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Good luck running the numbers and showing a profit. You do the leg work, machine work, billing work, employee management work, depeciate and wear your equipment out work, take it in the shorts work, all for a couple of kernels if it doesnt snow.Of course there will be some snow wizard that will come on here and suggest all the old contractors were just sticking it to them and there is all kinds of money too be made. Save your breath on that subject, this isnt my first rodeo.

9. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

Geez i was just lokking for some info just to be sure it would be worth my time to go bigger and do well at it.

I know not everythiong is perfect and there is a chance of not alot of snow.

10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The only way you will come out is if it doesnt snow. On their seasonal payments they have so low you couldnt afford to plow and salt a Mcdonalds correctly.It wasnt bad before when the service was first and pay was second. Bigger isnt better in this case.

11. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I just don't have the knowledge of how to bid a lowes or kohls or target store lot. is it a per push, or per year paid monthly, or is by the hour, if any of them how do you figure it out.

12. Boss23

Boss23 Junior Member

If you dont know how to bid them then stay away from them. No one will give you the info you are looking for because no one gave it to us . Go out and get your feet wet do the foot work yourself just like everyone else who has the bif store lots. LMMFAO tell me how to take your work away from you.

13. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

LMMFAO tell me how to take your work away from you.[/QUOTE]

Well why would i tell you how. you obviuosly are smart enough to do it without my help.

I was just lookin for a little insight on these kinds of lots, but nevermind

14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Stick to your one man band. The grass isnt always greener.

15. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

I hear ya on that Italiano, just thinking of branching out and have been contacted for a few larger lots by some store managers and I told them I would submit a bid, figured this is the best place for information sharing cause its not loike I am trying to take work away from you guys in the other states and that kind of stuff.

16. Boss23

Boss23 Junior Member

Well why would i tell you how. you obviuosly are smart enough to do it without my help.

I was just lookin for a little insight on these kinds of lots, but nevermind[/QUOTE]

If you dont understand what im saying then my opinion stands.To go from a 1 man show to renting loaders and taking on huge lots is silly but then you want others to tell how you to do it.

Enough said

17. kramer56

kramer56 Senior Member

not exactly how to do it but more like info on the bidding end of it so i don't miss anything and get my ass handed to me kinda thing. There is a lot of information on this site and some really great minds that have had some real experiences on this for a number of years, you sounding like your one of them, so thats what I was looking for not haveing someone do it for me. I have more equipment (backhoe,skidsteer, dumptrucks) .

18. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I learned to bid these big lots by losing my ass a few times, then I adjusted from there..

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I'd rather go back to plowing driveways. Parking lots like what you mentioned are a PITA. I was scraping the handicap spaces at a Lowes today with a wide open lot. Some moron drove right at me to cut across the lot. I got in his way and made it clear that he was an idiot. I finished before letting him go.

20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

a lot of bitterness on this thread don't you think guys, first off Krammer, there is a wealth of info on bidding in the bidding/buisness section of this site, and it is hard to help you because what you can get there for costs, well not even be close to what i can get here. Sounds like the jump you want to make is missing a step, Do you do small/medium sized commercial? i would think before you jump into large commercial like malls and department stores, you would buy a skidsteer, and be doing some industrial/medium commercial, strip malls, truck stops, etc. by the time you learn to quote those out you well get a grasp of what to better expect on larger commercial. i myself am not a fan of leasing/renting, you have nothing to show for your payments, and your payments are way higher then if you bought anyways, snow isn't particularly hard on big iron, so why not buy some good used equipment and own it when you make your payments.