1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walkbehind plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Feb 14, 2006.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Just was looking at my stuff in the shop and i saw my old Airens snowblower... 24'' wide path, pretty compact, but it doesnt really blow snow that well any more....

i got to thinking...would i be able to remove the blower from it and fab up a blade and use it as a pusher in smaller storms for the sidewalk crews?

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

You could just break it down and sharpen or replace the second stage spinner or what ever its called and the blower would work again... But it would be pretty cool to stick a plow on the front of it and the machine has much more forward power when the pto to the blower is disengaged, so it would probably work pretty good!
    Ivan

3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

thats what i was thinking... im pretty sure it just detaches and there is a front plate or something... i would just need to make something easily angled...maybe a buy a craftsman moldboard and attach it some how...

would be so fast on storms under 5 inches.

4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

get some wheel weights and possibly a set of chains and it would work even better.

5. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

There was a snowblower company along time ago that offered a snow blower with a detachable blower and a plow head so you can change back and forth, But I do not remember witch one.

6. Groundskeepers1

Groundskeepers1 Junior Member

I think the company you are thinking of was Gravely, if not im pretty sure they used to make a walk behind tractor with a plow.

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A Gravely with a plow was the first machine I ever plowed with. My Dad and uncle both had them with all the implements. It's a manly machine to plow with, you just sorta aim it and keep it balanced. They had tire chains and no weight was needed because they were heavy as hell. they had one cylinder engines with a piston the size of a 2 pound coffee can and loud.

8. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I saw an old unit a couple of years ago that was like that, except it looked like it came with the blade and there was no indication it was designed for a blower attachment. If you can get the traction, and have the hp, should push. I finished my driveway (fairly large driveway) a couple of years ago when a belt broke and I didn't have a spare. Just pushed the snow.

9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

that would be awesome...but ramps in the snow are a big pain and get very slick...this little airens can be lifted in and out quite easily

11. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS Senior Member

12. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

those are awesome on the WB mowers... i could do that but loading and unloading them on ramps during a storm is a pain in the @zz not to mention dangerous for the operator and the risk of skidding off of the ramp and breaking the machine.....

light weight is key. im going to look into seeing how hard it is to get the blower off of the airens and then just build myself something to push with on lighter storms..

just for curiosity do u guys have pics of those things pushing some snow? they look like alot of fun especially with a velke behind. :nod:

13. tgumby4

tgumby4 Junior Member

In their time Gravely were the best walkbehind tractor's. With a 34" snowblower and 16 horsepower motor it will easily throw snow that is 2' deep, 30 feet away ( I have). On my road I could direct the snow up and over the main telephone line that runs by my house with the wind in my favor. The chute on these blowers is about 6 inches across. Definitely a blower and not a thrower!!! The major downfall of these units are weight, the blower attachment it's self is about 250#, add about 500# for the tractor and that makes it a good machine to keep at home. With a blade the tractor will clear about 8-10" pretty easy, after that is hard to push.

14. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

yeah, gravely would be overkill for my guys. We have a BCS walkbehind tractor with a sweeper, considering a plow for that, but still needs ramps because its heavvvyy :yow!:

15. Bob Pro

Bob Pro Junior Member

Take double-headed nails and make some wood ramps, pound in the nail and you have cleats on your ramp. Bring stiff broom to keep the ramps clean.

16. lumps

lumps Senior Member

if you want easy, just unbolt the auger on each side, then it slides right out. put a piece of metal over the hole that's left, and you have a straight blade with sides. no angle, but it'll keep a fair amount of snow in front of it.

17. Vis if you get a tri fold aluminum ramp you will never have issues unloading or loading. Each section of the tri fold is built like a ladder. The blower tires climbs the cross section of the ramp very smoothly. And coming down I just slowly roll the blower down backwards....

18. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

The Gravely is the machine to have with the snow cannon, the things will make snow dissapear(I did a job and threw snow in to the neighbours front yard). With the plow on them just aim and hang on(mine has dual wheels and chains, it is good to push over a foot). They may be heavy dinosaurs(I have newer commercial models) but the brute force cant be beat, and the reliability is good too.