1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walkbehind blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ZINSCAPES, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ZINSCAPES

ZINSCAPES Junior Member
    from PGH.,PA

Just thought Id share. I just picked up a new commercial account this year that has aprox 1/2 mile of public walks that must be maintained as well. So I looked into getting some type of blade for one of our walk behind units, no one had anything here around for walk behinds only zturn riders or tractors which i have none of ,only 4 - 48" snapper hydros. A friend of mine hade one that he bought last year and said it worked like a beast. he paid over $1500 installed ,it was equiped with some nice hydraulics but i think a bit too much.But he said he they quit making them anyway. So I rigged up this on one of our hydros, keep in mind its very rudimentary looking but actually works is made of heavy cast steel and drops salt directly behind blade in front of drive wheels. This is the basic mtl list 2" od laundry pole $0, scrap 2.5" x 2.5" 1/4" thick angle iron aprox 4' $0, scrap 3/4 ply wood and 2x 12 $0., 1 scrap dump truck mud flap $0, 1 arm support from old velky with steel plate (about $100.00 10 yrs ago so it made its money) $0, some scrap rope (but actually have some light scrap dog chain that'll work better) to angle left or right, 1 scrap 2' long 3/4" all thread $0 . what i paid for some 3/4" nuts and bolts , killed a 3/4" drill bit maybe $30 after some paint. took about day to figure out. Salt /carry bin will be done by tommorow. Hopper from some cheap drop spreader that one of my crew guys found in some residential garbage $0. After dropping the cutting deck weight, this thing will easily carry 300# salt /calcium product. The guy thats going to be using it is quite happy ,I used it today to grade out some soil behind the garage , pushed about a 1/2 yard of wet soil around pretty easy, i guess i'll find out soon how good in snow.But for about $30.00 it was worth a try Need some snow tires for it yet.

plow.jpg

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think your going to have problems in heavy snow.

3. ZINSCAPES

ZINSCAPES Junior Member
    from PGH.,PA

yeah i agree, but this is for only 48" wide sidewalk and this is 24/7 job so the snow would not really ever have a chance to get to deep. Iwe obviously would not be using this for lots