1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by readysnowplow, Feb 2, 2010.

1. readysnowplow

readysnowplow Senior Member

I always have used earthway walk behind spreaders but have found them to not be able to handle certain bulk rock salt. I have to keep bouncing the spreader or taking out certain amounts. Im looking for a "Better Spreader". ANY SUGGESTIONS?
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Snow ex makes a nice one but it runs north of $400.00. I have a snowex for the last two winters and it is a nice unit just not cheap.

3. loudredram

loudredram Member

We have always used Lesco spreaders hoppers always take a good beating and the stainless frames are ideal for calcium and salt....our oldest one is about 10years old and it still looks like new
  4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I use Earthways without issues, what model are you running? I run 2150's (round 50# hopper). I've heard the 100# Buyers Salt Dogg's are good also.
  5. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I bought a salt dogg walk behind for $225. It holds 100# and has 3 adjustable deflectors. I can run bagged rock salt no problem. I tried bulk treated rock salt but that was to wet to flow nicely. The guy I bought the treated rocksalt from suggested I buy a "personal" vibrator and attach it to the outside. He said it worked for him. I'll take his word for it.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

thats jacked up!! :laughing:
  7. plow3232

plow3232 Senior Member

I have one for sale, it works good, I'll take pics if need, it holds 3 50 lbs of rock salt $75 I'm next to Ohare air port.
  8. Earthway makes the blue 2130 High Output. Works good but make sure you keep the agitator pin in it. We sell lots of them. We recently found the salt doggs to be very good. especially for spreading Magic Salt. Again don't remove the pin. We actually add a stronger pin that won't bend. Most of these come with a cheap pin. We found that with the salt dogg we can really regulate the amount of Magic that is put down. Because we really want as little to come out as possible. We have found no other spreader puts down as little Magic as the Salt Dogg does...So hope that help. Yes the Snowex works, just not as well and costs more.. Look at salt dogg... Also, don't overload them. We had a customer that put 100 plus pounds in it with two bags on top and was complaining it would not spread...
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010