1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walk behind spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nboeger4, Dec 29, 2009.

1. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

so i think its time for a new walk behind spreader. im currently looking into either a salt dogg or a snow ex. the dealer only had a snow ex in stock and it was a little over $400. but can order the salt dogg and it was $200. the snow ex had a big opening in the bottom of the hopper while the salt dogg has 3 smaller openings. they both have salt deflectors and there both 100lb capacity. the only other major difference i could tell is the bottom gears on the snow ex are protected and there not on the salt dogg.

does anyone have any input on this? or any other brands to look into? i just dont know if the $200 is more worth it or not...? thanks in advance

2. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Junior Member
    from cuba mo

walk behind

hey I bought a buyers brand about 3 years ago and it shot craps this year so i bought a new buyers from northern and it works fine my thought was if it last me three good years throw away and get anthor in three years I just can not bring myself to give 400 for a walk behind

3. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

thats kinda my feelings. the one i have now is a little over 2 years old. and its just an earthway cuz everyone was out of everything when i needed this one due to the old one breaking. i just want something with a salt deflector this time. which buyers model did you get?

4. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Junior Member
    from cuba mo

I bought it from northern tool it says ice buster built by buyers i bought it on sale for $150

5. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

i wonder what the difference is between that ice buster and the salt dogs by buyers? they look the same just a different color

6. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Junior Member
    from cuba mo

iam not sure ice buster is built by buyers

7. prostk2

prostk2 Member

Nboeger4---are you spreading rock salt or a MgCl/CaCl chemical? I bought a stainless steel Spyker 288 for rock salt---works great.