1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NAC, Dec 12, 2003.

1. NAC

NAC Senior Member

:dizzy: I was wondering what you guys are using for walk behind spreaders for walks and small driveways. I got to scoots spreader and they are junk. Looking for a commercial model I am trying to spread Magic salt so the stuff is already wet in the bags and does not flow threw the opening on the scoots spreader they are to small. Any help will be appreciated.

2. menchhofer

menchhofer Junior Member
    from IN

Might try Earthway C24P. About 275.00. Excellent spreader

3. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We use a few of the Ev-N-Spred 50 Lb. Commercial Broadcast Spreader Model 2150.

Here are a few specs:

This unit is fitted with the patented three hole drop design that ensures even spreading at 180 degrees. Includes a three-position height-adjustable handle to be fitted to all users. Larger 13 in. pneumatic wheels to glide through even the heaviest turf. Non-corrosive shut-off plate for seasons of trouble-free spreading. The gear box has a two year commercial warranty against defect.

Here is a pic link:
    http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/111930_3.jpg

I get them at Home depot for $100.00 and with the pneumatic tires, they are great for the money.

4. NAC

NAC Senior Member

Walk behind spreader

I tried an earth way spreader this last snow event with no luck. It has 3 slotted holes 1'x1 1/2" still the magic salt would not flow threw if you tap the sides as you are moving it would work sometimes. I am going to try to get a Spyker spreader they say they have a model just for salt with a 3"x3" opening maybe that will work.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've used my Scotts rotary spreader for 3 years and never had a problem with it. I use it in the off season too on my yard. I wash every time I'm done salting and it keeps on working.:waving:

6. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

If you want a drop spreader look at either hydromann or epoke. they are both designed to spread, salt, sand, ice melter and are not just fertilizer spreaders like the other ones mentioned in this post.they can be found at either epoke.com or www.easternfarmmachinery.com

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

We use an Earthway, no problem, just wash it after every event. I'm not sure what you could get to spread wet salt with, I would think that it would stick in about anything you would use.

8. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Agri-Fab makes a nice inexpensive spreader. The Pro model has a deflector for a 4' spread width on sidewalks. They are available thru www.j-thomas.com

Attached Files:

9. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have an Earth-way, with side deflectors. It works OK. We spread about 45-50 bags per event at 1 location, and 10-15 at 3 other locations. I think that it leaves a heavier application directly under it's path.

You would think a company would make a spreader for salt spreading only. I found that a one hole spreader seams to be better, and a spinner that is low to the ground.