1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Joel B., Dec 23, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Does anyone know of a spreader that has an adjustable spread width? I need one that will adjust from about 2 to 5 feet to accommodate different sidewalk widths. I saw one thread that recommended Earthway, does anyone use these and is the spread width adjustable? I appreciate any other recommendations.

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

All of the spreaders I've seen are manually adjustable range, meaning the slower you walk the tighter the spread area is. For sidewalks, I made a stop out of some pieces of plywood and framed with 1x4s. The frame sits on top of my spreader, and I jsut take it off when I need to do bigger lots. I've actually gotta make a new one, last years model got beat up as I jsut threw it together.
  3. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

If you go with the earthway spreader they make a salt deflector kit for their walk behind spreaders. It has a adjustable flap on each side so you can control material spread. Another benefit is it groups the material and saves on the amount needed to be applied, at least it has for us.
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

"groups the material"....................I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Joel B.
  5. dubster23

dubster23 Junior Member

Instead of flinging it however far it usually goes, the deflectors stop it from traveling so you get all your material in a tighter area. We use them on walkways ranging from 8' wide to 2.5' wide. If you look on earthways website I think they have a picture of what I'm talking about. Good Luck!
  6. empire

empire Member

hot shot

Hey merry christmass.Meyer makes a really nice one.I paid 160.00 for it and it has the ss deflector to drop material or you can take it off for big lots.Its called the hot shot
  7. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Hot Shot

Kind of a repeat, but Like above, I bought a Meyer Hotshot HD. Great spreader. Much better than Earthway. It has a deflector shield for sidewalks which is held on with 2 wing nuts. 30seconds to remove it once, then I do the small parking lot. Bagged salt runs through easily since the aperature is plenty big. You can adjust spread width by changing walking speeds, or there's a bracket underneath the hopper where the salt drops. If you adjust this up or down, it hits the spinner at different angles and throws different distances. That adjustment is more than its worth, but it can be adjusted, or used as is with the shields in place for sidewalks.
  8. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I have an Earthway and have rusting problems. Only 2 years old. They are supposedly powder coated, and I wash it out after use, but it hasn't held up. On the upside, I had some rusted and broken linkage and Earthway was good to me. SHipped out new linkage free without asking for a receipt or anything. For all they knew it could have been 8 years old, but they still took my word and got it going for FREE! I like the customer service, but I think I am going to try the hot shot the other guys were talking about. Just my 2 cents.
  9. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

We have Earthway set up the same way,Excellent spreader...
  10. empire

empire Member

meyer hot shot is the way to go!!!!

this one is mostly plastic so no rust.
  11. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Look into MTD or Scotts
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The one thing I hate about plastic units are that they tend to get brittle in the cold. One good slide in the truck bed (or a shifting load :p ) and they are done...

I also don't like the cheezy plastic wheels alot of them come with either.
  13. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

What about the walkbehind Agri Fab. Are they any count at all. I have found a 125lb. capacity walkbehind for $189.00. Thanks
  14. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

15. tpolito999

tpolito999 Junior Member
    from Iowa

Where to buy the Meyer HotShot

Can someone give an online website to buy the Meyer HotShot and an approximate cost?
  16. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

17. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

Agreed! We just bought one this winter and it works pretty good. Although sometimes the salt gets piled up on either side of the bottom, so you have to shake it around a little bit to get the salt back to the center again. But other than that I love it! And it even came with a poly cover for the top so snow doesn't freeze over the salt.

We got ours at the local True Value.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  18. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Your Awesome!

Thanks so much I am gonna try to find one though I dont think I wil be as lucky as you lmao