1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by UpstateDzlGuy, Feb 6, 2004.

1. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

Would a decent walk behind spreader for lawns work with salt and sand salt mix? I only have a few driveways that I do from time to time and shovels spreading is a little uneven. Any ideas? Chris
  2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

if you get one, make sure you get one with air in the tires instead of the hard plastic ones, they are cheaper but dont push very well on ice. each of our plow trucks has a spreader in case we have to do a small area or the salt spreader would break down, good luck
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have one that I use and it works fine. I wash it after every use also.:waving:
  4. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

I just hate the idea of using a $300 Lesco fertilizer spreader to do salt. Me, I would forget to wash it once and then have a rusty, expensive spreader. :eek: What do you guys use for sidewalks? To me, the fertilizer spreader spreads it too wide. But I hate using a cup/shovel (too uneven distrubition). Any ideas?
  5. handenterprises

handenterprises Junior Member

i have an earthway push spreader that i use. to keep it from spreading too wide i put a piece of tin on the left side of the spinner. i just stay on the left side of the side walks and walk slow enough to only spread the width of the walk. this saves a lot of salt and dosn't effect the grass. as for the spreader it's self i don't think i will use it for fertilizer any more. it kinda got smashed when the salt skid slid forward. i straightened it out but no longer trust it to be accurate.
  6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Lesco all stainless steel, awesome!
  7. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Has anybody tried a regular drop fertilizer spreader instead of a rotary?
  8. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

i have an argi-fab aND IT KICKS
    YOU CAN GET AN EARTHWAY FOR AROUND 140 BUCKS AND IT HOLD LIKE 100 POUNDS OF SALT sorry i mistyped that i didnt mean the caps im not yelling
  9. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. I may have to invest in one for next season. I use the shovel toss, but it doesn't seem to work as good as I want. Chris
  10. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

Lesco stainless is good if you use calcium or landscapers choice (magnesium), mine works o.k. with bagged salt but wet bulk salt just gets clogged. E-poke (orange drop spreader) from Sweden are amazing but pricey $1,000.00 Canadian. Also they take along time but you don't waist any on the grass.
  11. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Does that hurt the grass in the spring if some get's on it??? What about run-off.

12. hardscaper

hardscaper Member
    from usa

13. DJC

DJC Senior Member

that's what we are going to use this year, hope it works:)
  14. Castle

Castle Junior Member
    from Ohio

Another option to the Hydromann is the Taurus from WWW.Peacocksalt.co.uk.
    But how could anyone justify spending a grand on a walk behind spreader???? Yikes!!!
  15. lush&green

lush&green Junior Member

I have the Agrifab 125 with the sidewalk delector and it works great with Magic Salt. I don't think I would use it for Fertilizing though. Leave that to the Perma-Green ultra and Lesco Spreaders.