1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walk behind spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cmills, Dec 1, 2010.

1. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

Is there one brand of walk behind that is much better than the other or is it just about best to shop by price? It seems everything I have read says about all of them have problems with clogging. I've read a few good things about the Salt Dogg spreaders (same as Buyers, right?) and the snow ex spreaders, anybody have any other opinions?

thanks,
    Cory

2. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I have the salt dogg, which is made by buyers. I like it, I've had it for 2 years and it does what I need it to do.

3. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I have a salt dogg also, I had bought a snowex and the salt would not flow the same as the salt dogg. They are also too expensive twice as much as a salt dogg.

4. cmills

cmills Junior Member
    from Indiana

For those of you with the SaltDogg, where did you buy it? I think I might give one a try, hopefully it won't take to long to get here.

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Amazon.com has the salt doggs. Free shipping too.

6. SServices

SServices Senior Member

I got mine at central parts, on pre season sale

7. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

spreaders

I like the snowex spreaders. I have been using them for them for three years. I am looking forward to using my new SnowEx drop spreader this year as well. I have not had any clogging issues.

Good luck.

8. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, I have two plastic Scotts spreaders from Home Depot. I had to buy them in a pinch one day when the Earthway spreader we were using crapped out. They have been going strong for five years with countless tons put through them. I studded the plastic tire for traction and don't plan on replacing them anytime soon.

9. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I bought my Salt Dogg at Regional truck equiptment. AgriFab also makes good salt spreader, the only problem mine tend to hold up 2-3 years. But spread salt really good. Those I bought @ Russo.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm using the same, the only real draw back is you carry less product but the type of stuff I do 100#'s isn't needed with a walk behind. Thinking of upgrading by putting some pneumatic tires on it and maybe a deflector.

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

In true honesty, if your in the market for an industrialized walk spreader, buy Epoke! This has air tires, grease fittings & steel hopper. Retails approx $1,150 (canadian)

epoke5.jpg

12. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

maby it is just the pic but that thing looks huge.

13. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Just bought a new Salt Dogg from Mills Supply in Cleveland, Ohio. Checked around and they had the best price at $175.00 picked up.

14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

steel salt dogg at angelos is 169 stainless is in the upper 200's

15. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

How wide of a path do the salt dogs spread?