1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind spreader for bagged salt? Best value?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kruser6, Dec 31, 2010.

1. kruser6

kruser6 Member
    from Iowa

What is your guys' recommendations for a walk behind spreader that works well and is reasonably priced. Looking for one that won't get clogged up from the bagged salt and flows well from the spreader. Thanks.
  2. Spencer's

Spencer's Junior Member

Let me know if you find one! i could use one to!
  3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Not sure what mine is as there's no label on it. I've had it forever. I took a pencil grinder and beveled the holes and opened them up as much as I could. Also took a piece of rubber and mounted it to the sides and back to direct the granulars. I can open it up and empty 50lbs in less than a minute if I wanted to.
  4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a Salt Dogg. Got it from Amazon.com. Check them out. Not bad for $200... They re-did a couple designs, including a heavy duty gear drive system. My workers love it. Will definitely buy another one when needed.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. Spencer's

Spencer's Junior Member

ill have to check them out! thanks!
  6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We use a lot of 125lb capacity Earthway Spreaders. Good value since they get knocked around. Can be used for salt/ice melt in winter and Fertilizer in summer.
  7. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Purchased one from John Deere/Lesco last year. It is dedicated salt spreader with one larger hole in bottom and an agitator just above the opening. Screen is secured tightly. Best one I've used to date. That includes 3 salt doggs, spyker(the worst) 3 earthway and 3agrifab.
  8. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What model is it?
  9. Turtle07z71

Turtle07z71 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I purchased a Buyers model from Northern Tool about 2 months ago for $150. It holds up to 100 lbs, and so far has worked great.
  10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

saltdogg, works great $179..00
  11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Believe it or not, I've been running a cheapo Scotts spreader for five seasons. I bought it one night to replace an Earthway spreader that broke. That poor little thing has had TONS of ice melt through it without complaint.

I modified it so that it is two wheel drive and I put some screws in the little plastic wheels for traction.