1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walk behind spreader advice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by valpoguy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

I need a little push spreader for doing my lot...I bought a cheap on from home depot and it doesn't work...any suggestions?

2. leon

leon Senior Member

to spread or not to spread

========================================================================

You should buy an Earthway or the spreaders available at Tractor Supply Company; The only bad thing about the smaller spreaders is their inability to handle mixed sizes of rock salt,
    The only way this is overcome is by increasing the size of the drop hole in the bottom of the spreader.

The Earthway and the large walk behind from TSC I can personally vouch for as they are excellent especially due to the controls being above the spreading pattern.

The larger Earthway spreaders have pneumatic tires, I do not remember what type of tire the TSC spreader has.

If you order an Earth Way Spreader it is usually shipped to the door in three days after the order is placed, just decide if you want to buy a larger earth way that can deal with salt as it base parts are well made plastic injection molded parts and spare parts are available for all thier spreaders.

The TSC walk behind is well built and has a good spread like the earthway as well but it needs need to be opened wider to spread the rock salt due to its not being uniform in size.

If you use calcium or sand thier will be no problem regulating the spreading pattern due to the uniform size of the products.

You may be further ahead with a salting sand mix either bought or mixed prior to use as the sand will hold the salt in place better as well.

leon

3. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

Thanks for your response, off to TSC in the morning

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

hey valpo. are you from valpo IN? i will be there later on in the week, i have a lesco stainless spreader im selling for 150

5. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

I have pm'd you my number

6. What is the make & model from Home Depot?
    Cheap one are mainly for yard work. Which rust up fast when spreader rock salt.
    Here is what Tractor Supply has Thinking about getting this one as a spare : http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-g...ader-with-rain-cover-100-lbs-capacity-4404303
    This is one of 2 I have : http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324761_200324761 Going on 2 season so far no replacement parts yet. Got this one new.
    This is the other one i have : http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200313502_200313502 had to replace the spinner thing inside every year about 2 times per season. Got this one used!
    The rain cover is nice keeps it dry when getting freezing rain.

103732_lg.gif

168474_lg.gif

4404303.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

The one I bought was made by Scotts, it was 44 bucks, seemed fairly sturdy for what i need it for, but it the wheels won't turn when on snow, they just slide, The person above who said they had one for sale hasn't contacted me so I bought the one at TSC, ordered it online and used code DECDEAL and saved 15% and got free shipping, so it was like 122 to my door.

8. What I see is all plastic tires. Is that one you got one of those?
    http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/p...sp?navAction=jump&itemId=cat70012&id=cat50016

I started with one of those lasted about 3/4 of a season. Did last 1/4 of season by hand. Before got the

This is the other one i have : http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3502_200313502 had to replace the spinner thing inside every year about 2 times per season. Got this one used!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324761_200324761
    The rain cover is nice keeps it dry when getting freezing rain.

9. Chipmunk

Chipmunk Member

Don't use a cheap fertilizer spreader. Sometimes it doesn't spread that great, although its workable. But for being built for fertilizer, the salt eats it up real fast.
    I think the one we had lasted two years and after that, it was junk. It was actually junk the start of the second year using it, but I made do. The wheels also like to slide on slippery surfaces as well.

My brother-in-law has a nice one now and it works wonders. Nice all-terrain wheels and heavy duty.
    I can't remember what kind it is though.

I'll find out and get back to you so you can compare if you're still looking around.

10. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I agree, a fertilizer of lightweight spreader like scott's don't hold up. I bought a nice saltdog spreader with stainless axle and all terrain tires. It works great.

11. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

same here bought a new salt dog spreader...best push spreader i've used

12. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Bought a Salt Dogg this year and it works fantastic. If you have to make do with plastic wheels on the cheap, screw some small self tapping hex head screws into the drive wheel and it wont slip on anything. I've been using one like that for 2 years now, at a cost of about $35, just to have it in the back of the truck, in case I need to spread some salt when I wasn't expecting to have to.

14. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I won't buy another Scotts unit, have had several and they all physically fell apart (axle mainly) long before they ever rotted out.

I won't buy another Earthway, either, I had the red one in the center of the pic above. Same problem, axle/differential broke. They don't like the weight of a full hopper, nor do they like employees giving them a bang once in a while on the ground to keep the material flowing.

I bought a Salt Dogg walk behind last year and haven't looked back. My only beef is that its bulky and heavy but thats also why I expect it to last.

15. Well after 4 years of hard service. Lawn care is spring, summer, fall & Ice Control in winter. I had to throw this one away. The gear box went. Plastic rims broke.Here is a picture of it 4 years ago after putting it togther.

25546_lg.jpg

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We broke a salt dogg last year, right where the teeth go into the gear on the axle. It broke the shaft right off inside the little gear with the teeth. I was able to repair it.

17. Yeah, the scotts spreaders are cheap but with the plastic wheels really don't work well when it's icy or w/hardpack. We have been selling and using the earthway 2130's. They work good w/Magic but what I really like are the Salt Dogg push spreaders. "For Magic" they put it down nice and light as needed and it has adjustable deflectors for doing sidewalks and a cover. I really like them as do the contractors that have tried them. They are more than the 2130's but do more. But for Magic, I love em.

18. Snowpusher78

Snowpusher78 Junior Member

salt dog is the way to go I love my specially with the rain cover, just make sure the cover is on good, about lost mine the other day good thing i was looking in the mirror the wind got under the cover and took it off. If u are salting small lots look into a buyer spreader for the hitch can get a nice one for under $1,000 sure beats having to walk the lot specially in the freezing rain or ice conditions.

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i found a snow ex hitch model for 600 bucks new...that beats walking

has anyone ever used the new "blue" high flow spreaders from earthway? they claim they can spread large material, is this true?

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If its the one i have then yes....mine is blue, its earthway, and its a "salt" spreader....I bought it off a guy going out of biz for 50 bucks. It has 1 feed gate that is kind of round/rectangular shaped.?.?...It will spread anything from fine blended ice melters to 1/2 inch gravel:D.....I have read some bad stuff about this spreader, but I must say that i have had great luck spreading fine materials & bulk/coarse rock salt.
    BTW, this is my personal spreader, if I were to put it into service with my walk crew I'm not sure how long it would last? I am just about ready to get a couple more spreaders for the walk crew, but I have been debating on what to get? I may get myself a new one, 1 new one for the walk crew, and put the earthway in service with the walk crew?