1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind sidewalk spreader questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JimMarshall, Nov 14, 2015.

1. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

Hey all, looking for some advice on walk behind spreaders for my sidewalk guys. They are wasting a lot of product doing a lot of spreading by hand. I have spreaders, but the guys hate them because they spend more time fighting with the spreader than spreading salt. Decided to figure out why, and as it turns out, unbeknownst to me, the red earthway spreaders we have aren't designed for wet material and salt. It even says so on page 1 of the manual! No wonder the guys hate them, they don't have the proper tool! So, I have some questions. Broadcast spreader or I have seen some videos of a drop/waterfall type. Any opinions? Who makes God ones? I did some searching and the vast majority of the threads I found on the subject of walk behind spreaders were well over 5 years old. Figured there may be new products n the market so I would ask again. I would appreciate any guidance anyone can give.

2. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Epoke...Expensive to say the least.But won't end up in the dumpster by the end of the year..

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Stainless, I have a spyker. Spreads salt good, calcium is ok. But it still beats those earthways.

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Jim...How many sq. Feet of sidewalks are we talking about here..

No spreader really likes wet materal

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Yeah what he said. No first hand experience because the dang things are so expensive upfront cost but I have only heard the best about them.

I have personally had a snowex broadcast for probably 4-5yrs now, it has the extra wide opening so it will spread bulk and I have spread tons of bulk through it along with regular walk salt to peladow...no problems. It's pretty rusty now but other then that it has earned it's keep.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Bought a Stainless Sno-x a couple yrs ago and it's been great. Get stainless steel no matter what kind you buy.

photo copy 3.jpg

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I got a stainless Lesco (or JDL or SitePro or whatever they are calling themselves this week) that I really like. I've had it a couple years w/o issue. They make one for bulk material that has one large hole instead of 3 small ones. I also got the optional cover and sidewalk shroud.

8. JimMarshall

from NW PA

Without having the paperwork in front of me to give you an exact figure, in the neighborhood of 75 thousand.

9. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I have always dreamed of having one of their truck mounted spreaders. I see now they have a model for smaller trucks!!!!!

10. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Interesting, I've found hand throwing to be one of the least wasteful ways of doing it. 75k of walks sounds like too much to do by hand though. I've made the cheaper spreaders work for bulk by drilling extra bigger holes. Wet salt is probably a no go in any push spreader though.

11. JimMarshall

from NW PA

I mean it's not wet, it is dry bagged material. I'm not looking to run bulk through it. But by nature, salt is damp. These spreaders aren't made to run unevenly sized, dusty, moist materials through. That is the issue. I don't see how spreading by hand could possibly use less than a spreader.

75 might be low. I'm just guessing.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I always use less when throwing from a 5 gal bucket.

13. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Bagged salt should spread just fine out of those earthways. Sounds to me like they're just old and worn out, or they're rated for 80lbs and your putting 100lbs in them. I've noticed that makes a difference too. I also vote stainless on a new one.

When I spread by hand I can throw exactly what I need where I need it. Saves salt but slow and tiring.

14. JimMarshall

from NW PA

15. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yeah, a little bouncing is just a part of it. Keep the bottom of the hopper clean and scraped. Do your spreaders have t handles or rounded handles like a snowblower?

16. JimMarshall

from NW PA

So you're saying the material won't go through any of the ice melt spreaders either? They have t handles

17. STARSHIP

STARSHIP Member

Earthway does make a spreader that has an option for 3 different interchangeable inserts for the discharge for fertilizer/seed/salt/mulch. We love earthway products for fertilizing, but have had not had quite as good of results from their blue dedicated salting models. We have not tried the model with the changeable trays yet. This year we are going to try the SS Chapin salters, so I will let you know how that goes.

This is a link to the Earthway spreader: http://earthway.com/product/F80PS-PROFESSIONAL-ADAPTABLE-BROADCAST-SPREADER.ashx

18. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I think were going to try a few of the stainless frame Chapins with poly hopper. Found them reasonable priced with free shipping through wal mart of all places.

19. STARSHIP

STARSHIP Member

20. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member