1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Salt Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sailscall01, Dec 3, 2007.

1. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I need to get a walk behind salt spreader this season and was wondering what kind is most reliable. Will be salting shopping center sidewalks. :salute:

2. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

I use a 50lb earthway. Have 3 of them for over 3 years and work great! the are light lifting in and out of trucks as well as compact and hold just a little more than one bag of salt.

3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Get a stainless frame... I've always used Lesco Stainless with a poly hopper

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been running the stainless Lesco.

Biggest issue is that it's heavy and expensive.

Just go to Home Depot, Menards, Wal-Mart, wherever they have the plastic rotary spreaders that'll hold at least 50 lbs.

Usually they'll cost you $25-40 and will last 1-2 years, fairly easily, without any maintenance.

Like mentioned earlier, they're light going in and out of the truck.

If you really want the Lesco stainless one, PM or post back here, and I'll sell you mine cheaper than new.

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I've always ended up with stripped gears on the cheap spreaders...It really depends on how much you plan to use it and who is using it...If your loading 50# bags of calcium... the spreader is nothing...that should be of no concern

6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Xt Says "keep It Marinated" W/ Wd40 Or Gear Lube

7. big bird

big bird Senior Member

it has to suck to SALT sidewalks it better pay goodpayup

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

not really sure what this qoute meant but i think he meant that he would rather set in his warm truck and laugh at all the old people falling busting hips so he can have a NEW contract every year? i guess birds get cold idonno

i have a buyers saltdogg poly with steel frame and it spreads bulk salt verry well, i think it holds 100lb and cost about $150 and worth every penny, i didn't get the stainless because it was almost twice as high and i figured by the time the frame is gone its time for a new one anyway? just keep some FF on it and it'll last for years, we are on our 3rd year with this one, we also use a slide in, in a toolcat or kubota RTV with heat (big bird) LOL

Big Bird: why do you not salt sidewalks? do you do no comm's or just no salt? i guess if you don't salt you dont shovel?.....SMART! maybe your in the wrong buis. idonno

9. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

You can get an Earthway with a stainelss frame if you want to pay for it. I also have the expensive lesco stainless but it is heavy and did not spread nearly as well. I did like the salt dogg(a friend has one) but I spread 30 bags per event which is getting the spreader out about 20 times.....the earthway is the lightest that I found...it all adds up at the end of the night!

10. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

yeah,I have a lesco but i cant justify using my $400 spreader on salting i jsut bought to buyers salt dogs for 159.00 each i use to use the earthways key is just wash them down when ur finished with them and use silicone lube NOT wd40

11. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it..

12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I use the older lesco spreaders now that we replaced them with new ones.

13. Leisure Time LC

Leisure Time LC Senior Member

I use a regular broadcast fertilizer spreader and open the trap all the way open and it works great. Cheap and effective

14. equinn2005

equinn2005 Junior Member

If you look around i have two earthway push Spreaders and i love them both i have had the 50# for about 3 years and my 100# about 1.5 years. They both work awesome no problems and they get planty of use for winter salt and summer fertalizer:prsport

15. earl964

earl964 Member

I hear everybody using walk behind spreaders . Do you open up the chute all the way or do you set it at something . I do mostly residential driveways and a couple of my customers asked me about salting a driveway . The driveways are only 40x60 and not enough people to warrant a truck mounted spreader
    Thanks

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally, I just open it up and run......

It's spreading at a rate that's related to what the product is supposed to be spread at / weather dependent.

17. treebeard82

treebeard82 Junior Member

walk behind spreader

i use and earthway 50lb and it works well. for a good walk-behind spread you need a few things. first, screen salt at top of spreader so you know it will fit through the bottom. get a spreader with a solid rod connecting the handle to the door, NOT a cable. i've had nothing but problems with cable operated spreaders for salt. since i spread on sidewalks and not driveways i installed a homemade deflector on the back and sides. offers more control and you dont get as much salt on you. i like to use a colored salt, usually powerthaw, so i can see where it goes.

18. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

When you guys say you wash down the spreader how are you doing that when it's below zero?

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Heated Garage.:rolleyes:

20. tigertownman

tigertownman Junior Member

For washing out spreaders . If you dont have a heated garage , some car washes have heated indoor facilities to wash your truck and walk behinds.. Or u can ask real nicely if you can wash them out in the bath tub , if your wife will let you..