1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk-behind power broom

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by www.rs-lawn.com, Oct 5, 2014.

1. www.rs-lawn.com

www.rs-lawn.com Junior Member

I am interested in buying a walk-behind power broom for some residential accounts that we service. Plows are not an option. Right now we are using snow blowers and shovels.

I would like to know some info from your experience with a walk-behind power broom similar to the models I have below. Pros and Cons... How many inches of snow can it handle? Does it do well with wet snow? Is it worth the purchase?

http://www.exmark.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProductType=142

http://www.toro.com/en-us/professio...-broom/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=Power-Broom-38700

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I've thought about buying one as well, I believe snowex also makes a broom/plow combo walk behind unit as well.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

those 2 sure look the same to me

4. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

You want to use these for residential? Hmmm....I wouldn't comsider that to be an option for 99% of residential yards. See, if you keep going down the same path for a month....you end up with a windrow. Well...now you have to blow the windrow back so you have room to sweep more snow.
    Also....it'll make a hell of a mess if you let the snow hit a wall or a window, or anything else.
    And...they are slow, large, and cumbersome.

For long walkways....a 36" broom like you are showing.....they are great. They clean very well, they work amazing in wet snow. Although I have no experience with the two brands you listed...I do own plenty of power brooms.

5. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Have the exmark. Guys like it alright. On light snow with wind, the snow usually ends up where the wind wants it. Thats fine if you plan for it. For dumb sidewalk laborers, sometimes that's too hard to figure out and they end up wearing it.