1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind or lawn tractor snowblower?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by kbsnow, Sep 15, 2011.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

OK, here is the deal. I can get my fathers 2006 Cub Cadet lt1050 at no cost, buy a blower and be happy. BUT, I live in the city and have no where to keep it. It would be nice for the condo complex and the schools that I plow....but how do I get it there? I can buy a walk behind for the same price as a used blower for the Cub, but, I have to "walk behind it".

2. leon

leon Senior Member

Decisions, decisions

The problem is whether you can still obtain
    a snow caster for the tractor that is the issue.
  3. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

There are plenty available for this model as they were universal for a number of tractors. I found a couple that I will need to fabricate some brackets but it will fit. All pulleys and belts are included.
  4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

unless you have lots of walks at one location a single stage snowblower is the easiest and fastest. If the tractor fits well for your business then take it, if it doesn't then don't. It may be free but if its not productive it will cost you in the long run
  5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

I have decided...it will be a walk behind snowblower. The lawn tractor is a nice idea, BUT, not practical. I live in the city, would have to keep it in the back yard, and would have to load and unload everytime I needed to use it.

The snowblower can stay in the back of the truck in the garage.
  6. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I think that's a good call. I have a Deere with a plow...but I wouldn't want to try to drive it up an icy set of loading ramps into my truck. The walk behind is easy to load with those knobby tires it scoots right up the ramps and pulls me up.
  7. marylandplow82

marylandplow82 Junior Member

I think you made the right decision. I would not want to be driving up an icy ramp in the middle of a snow storm..The walk behinds are much easier to handle up the ramp..