1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind mowers with plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Oomkes, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I did a search and didn't really come up withanything helpful so here goes.

We currently use our Dingo for sidewalks at one of our larger projects. It works out great, we haven't been able to stop it over the last three years, but going from one area to another is quite slow (3 MPH). I'm wondering if anybody has a straight blade on a walk-behind mower and if it has worked out. If it does work, do we need chains for traction?

Any help is appreciated.

PS We would be using it on an Exmark Turf Tracer.

2. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Exmark used to have a straight blade for their walkbehinds, was made by an aftermarket company though, don't know how well it works. My brother uses one of the Dingos with a bucket, says same thing, unstopable, he works at Protec Welding, he's trying to get a pusher for it. The Dingos have two speeds, is that all the higer one does is 3.5?, I thought it would be higher. Hope I helped. How much (sqft) can your Dingo plow per hour. I'm looking at some plazas for next year & do you use a steel edge ,rubber, or urthane?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2001
  3. Mark Oomkes

We had a "bracket" made that we mounted a rubber edge on. This has saved us from going over the handle bars at least a couple times.

Production times are roughly 2 hours for about 6100 linear feet--5 foot wide, this includes soem traveling between sidewalks, going over most of them once in each direction to get it wide enough, some patio areas and some steps that are about 3 or 4 high, that we pull back with the plow.

The company is RAD. Its about $900 bucks, so I wanted to see if I could get some input before I jumped into something for that knd of money. We're just trying to find something a little faster.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Our Tracers have the RAD snowblowers on them and yes, you'll need tire chains.

5. casey

casey Banned

Was looking at that blower attachment on Rads Exmark page.
    Confused by these 2 statements "cutting width 44" (46" TT)"- Does that mean blower only fits on a certain 48" TT power unit? Seems unlikely.
    Also what does "requires an optional drive kit" mean. I assume the drive kit is required to use the blower attachment?http://www.exmark.com/accessories.htm

6. Kent Lawns

The TT uses a 46" Snowblower.
    The TTHP, Viking and Metro use a 44" Snowblower.

The drive kit allows the machine to transfer power from the electric clutch PTO.
    (They make the same blower for other appplications that may have a shaft and thus eliminate the drive kit.)

7. Mark Oomkes

Kentlawns, even if we are just using the blade? I'm asking because we won't be able to get away with that, the customer is a little anal about his walks\concrete.

8. Kent Lawns

I would think chains would be even more important with the blade.

Perhaps you could change to ag tires?

Obviously on light snow, flat ground and/or salted walks, chains are not as important, so that may be a factor as well.

9. casey

casey Banned

Can you give me a comparison of that unit to a designated 2 stage such as a Toro 3213 PS?

10. Kent Lawns

The eXmark truf tracer is better for us:

TT has:
    4' width allows clearing a sidewalk in 1 pass.
    Instant reverse
    Power Steering
    Ride-on Velke
    Basically Zero-turn radius, tight areas are easier & quicker.
    Jumps curbs easily
    20-23 horsepower vs. 13.

The downside of an eXmark is it is too long, the dedicated unit is quite a bit more compact.

11. casey

casey Banned

Thanks,
    I have a TTHP so I realize the maneuverability would be unparallelled. How about clearing ability in heavy snow, chute control & quality & reliability of RAD? I'm guessing there's alot of slippage with zero turns.

12. Kent Lawns

We modified our chute control to electric w/ electic spout control. The original manual crank works easily, though. (Better than a MTD or Craftsman machine.) The stock units do not have remote spout control.

Quality is good.
    Reliabilty? No problems.

Alot of slippage w/ zero turns? Not sure what you mean there, we always had tire chains and haven't had a problem.

13. captdevo

captdevo PlowSite.com Sponsor

Walker

I use a Walker Mower with the blade attachment, if it's real bad, i'll put on the 2-stage blower attachment.

Both these work excellent.

i usually just run a/t tires, if it's icy i can add chains

14. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Mark,

Jeff Tovar has a "fleet" of plows on walk behinds. His are custom made. Dave Sipple also has used custom made ones on walk behinds. Seems to me you could get a local welder to fab some plows for you, for much less than RAD. Jeff's plows were actually in a back issue of Snow & Ice Manager (The SIMA Magazine before it became SNow Business). Don't know if you have it. I haven't seen Jeff's, but I spoke to Dave about the ones he used, and he said the only problem was they didn't have any way to raise them for transport. That can easily be overcome though.
    The V plow I made for my tractor could easily be adapted to a walk behind. There are pics of it on my site.

~Chuck

15. Mark Oomkes

Thanks, Chuck. I'll try to give one of them a call tomorrow. I did see the one that Jeff has in the pictures. I don't think a v would be best for our situation, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm thinking you are probably right on the local welder.

Sorta wish i would have asked a couple weeks ago, I just saw Chris James at the CLIP conference. He did a great job.

16. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Mark-

Within the last few weeks there was an ad in the bargain corner for 12 sidewalk V's for sale. I think I may still have the number around if you are interested in V's.

17. casey

casey Banned

Ok, I'm boarderline ordering one of these instead of another desig. 2 stage.
    Do the chains slow down movement significantly (we need to do alot of turning, not many long straightaways). Do you put a carb heater on the Kawi? Do the auger blades work on the same OPC as the mower blades would? Was thinking of rigging the MTD manual, control panal spout control kit on the unit.
    Thanks.

18. Kent Lawns

Do the chains slow down movement? I don't understand. Tire chains? No.

No Carb heater on the Kawi.
    But most units are 23hp Kohler.

Auger and Fan work simatanuosly off the PTO Blade engagement.