1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind mower into snowblower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amars415, Nov 19, 2007.

1. amars415

amars415 Member

Has anyone out there turned a commercial hydro walk behind into a snowblower? I think I'm gonna try it. I have a exmark hydro walk behind with a 19hp kawi. Eight bolts, undo the belt and the deck/deck carrier frame is off. I have a snowblower from a mtd or something laying around that I got for free. I guess I will post pics when I end up doing it. Anyone else done anything like this?
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

By the time you get the parts........and figure out the geometry etc, I think you would be better off buying a blower......................but, you never know....Good luck.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

4. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Not something I would do but I bet it would be pretty neat.
  5. amars415

amars415 Member

I already have the snow blower, and the mower. All I need is some steel, an afternoon, a belt, and a welder. I do already have a big two stage snow blower but I thought... this stuff is just laying around doing nothing might as well put it to work!
  6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

Go For It Then Put Some Pics Up Of The Beast Love To See It Good Luck
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

ya i say go for it too, deffinetly post pics!
  8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I am curious as to how the hydro will react to this set up. I have seen the setup on belt drives but not hydro. Post some pics up when done.
  9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Sounds cool!

Hey, why not?
    I have a Wright stander that would make one heck of a snowblower, maybe I will make one too!
    But seriously, don't let naysayers talk you out of doing something just because they wouldn't be up to it.:jester:
    Post pics if you do it!
  10. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

About 5-6 yrs ago, I walked into Greenlands in Concord, NH and saw one of the Exmarks set up with a snowblower. Give Josh a call and ask him about it. It was commercially produced, not by Exmark, however, it looked awesome. I don't know if anyone bought one, but from seeing this, I know it would work. I say go for it. I have made many things in my time that were built in the shop on a rainy day...what do you have to lose??
  11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think it would really suck on a belt drive, considering the conditions, the belts would be SOAKED all the time.......the hydros however, it doesn't matter, RAD attachments only makes theirs for hydro WBs, i think it make sense!
  12. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

i have an old mtd snow blower that converted to a mower the mower is shot due to wear and tear but the snowblower and motor are still going don't use it to much anymore (weighs about 2 or 300#) but it is belt driven and when the snow gets heavy she makes easy work of sidewalks, never slips. i think it would be a good rainy day project as well. cant wit to see how it turns out