1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walk-behind 2 stage snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SDLandscapes VT, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Good evening all,

We run a concierge residential snow removal service in northwestern VT. It is a small portion of our business and frankly I havent developed it much yet, but I see some potential and I am working towards better systems etc. We use 2 stage snowblowers as we can receive large amounts of wet snow frequently and I need to keep my route times pretty static. I have the skis set at one paint stick thickness off the asphalt so we leave the thinnest of snow layers on the asphalt. This isn't a problem if there is no packed snow on the drive, the drive is quality smooth asphalt, and the temperature stays above zero and the sun shines. I don't set the skis all the way down because we do sidewalks and we have uneven asphalt and I got tired of jarring my teeth with impacts every five feet. Has anyone perfected a rubber cutting edge that can clean the asphalt (non packed snow) and reduce impacts on the operator/machine. I dont want to reinvent the wheel here--does anyone have any suggestions??

2. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

If you run a two man crew have someone follow up with a single stage so it will get down to the surface...
  3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We go back and skim the walks with 30" shovels before we apply chemical. Little extra work, but it saves on chemical and leaves a dry surface.