1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Walgreens

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Vaughn Schultz, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I had a phone call with a district manager for 5 Walgreen's this morning. In the conversation he told me I had a 95% chance of getting the contract(herd that be for :rolleyes: ) He just had to check with the guy above him. (MANAGER) "If it was up to me I would say just go ahead and do it" I ask him who signs the contracts and he tells me (MANAGER)"We don't sign contracts" you don't do what? (MANAGER)"I don't know, some policy that we have, we just don't sign, we are not going to skip out on you but, we don't want to get bound into a contract with a bad contractor" Sir my contracts are not binding they are simply, here is the agreed price, this is when I will do it, please don't sue me, the end. (MANAGER)"I don't know, I will talk to my boss"

What the heck is that all about? Walgreen's won't sign a contract? Are you out of your mind. I really want these accounts but my gut tells me it could just be bad news. The man told me it was just a verbal contract :rolleyes: Just cant see that with a major cooperation like Walgreen's :confused:

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

bob evans restaurants do it the same way. i've never had any problem with any of them.

3. snoking

snoking Senior Member

many many places are like that.....you are still good to go

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the quick reply ;)

Did you ever have any problem's with them?

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I would not agree to anything verbal. My understanding is that the hang up they have is with the word "Contract". If you changed the wording to read "Agreement" they should then sign it. In other words, they are not comfortable with a document titled Snow Contract 2005-2006 Season, but if you change it to read Snow Agreement 2005-2006 Season they are more inclined to sign etc.

Verbal is not the way to go since it's your word against theirs and their pockets are presumably deeper than yours when it comes to defending a lawsuit, slip and fall, etc. With nothing in writing you have no chance of waiving liability, identifying their requirements for service, defining your service, blizzard clause, etc.

Not in writing, not worth it imo. Keep us posted, good luck anyway.

6. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

All my Wallgreens managers sign their contracts. Keep in mind that you will not get paid until 30 days after the main office receives your invoice from the store manager.

Rule of thumb.....no signed contract, no service. :nono:

7. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i would not even wast your time if they cant sign a peace of paper.

8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

I have plows lowes for 5 years without a signature, no problems, no liability problems nothing. money is money take it and run, everything in this business isnt on a silver platter and 5 stores to turn down because the wont sign it...thats stupid...I mena who else has plowed them over the years...ever hear of them geting screwed...

Some people, or companies have been scrwed by so many plow companies they wont sign...easier to get rid of you if you dont perform....and there is now way they can keep from paying you....although they wont sign the required to be named on the insurance policy....so that gives past approva for you to be there....

Erik

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Very true, I have accounts that don't sign either and never had a problem...I say go for it, it sounds like a good "in" for you.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I too had problems with the word "contract" about 5 years ago, when I switched over to flat fees.

I switched to "Agreement" and everyone hopped on board, no questions asked.

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

No contract, no plowing! It might be money now, but when you are involved in the slip and fall lawsuit later and you are in front of the judge and you say "Yeah, my contract with them was VERBAL" you will get laughed out of court (and into the poor house because the verdict will surely be against you). :nono:

12. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Hey keep that attitude, Ill thank you for all work later.....we already have 2-3 slip and falls a year and nothing ever comes of it...been to court and they have been laughed out not us....

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have plowed for a major restaurant chain with out a contract for 3yr now. I've never seen the owner or manager, just talked to them on the phone, now and then I'll see the kitchen manager shoveling the sidewalk (I offered to do it, but they said It's no big deal, we'll have the kitchen help do it)
    I bill them once a month and they pay every month , Never have had any problems. people hear the word "contract" and it scars them off!
    If they don't pay, I stop plowing.. file suit in small clams or civil court for services rendered and you'll get paid .
    money is moneypayup , I would take the account.