1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

walgreens

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dlcs, Sep 13, 2012.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Anyone got a walgreens contract?

2. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

CBRE took over all facilities for Walgreen 12 months ago. They are based in Walgreens corporate office in Illinois. No idea specifically who the person is.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's nice.

There goes 15-20% right off the top and straight into their pocket to "manage" the sites.

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting. Whoever did them last year by me sucked. Just as bad as when Brickman was doing them.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Isnt this what "nationals" are doing anyways?

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Oh for sure. Some take as much as 25-30% right off the top.

The problem with CBRE is they will actually hire a national, and the national will in turn hire the outfit who will end up performing the work for the crumbs that are left over.

Put them in a trick bag, ef with them and find ways to short change their pay.

7. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i am torn on this one..

if someone bid/agrees to do the work without know their cost ...whose fault is that....

we as an industry do it to ourselves

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

So the greed of the contractor is OK?

You have a point, but if all one is in business for is to make as much money as one can at the expense of one's customers\vendors\subcontractors, knowing they are basically ripping them off, then it has crossed the line.

We all need to make money in order to survive as businesses. And when you have one piece of the puzzle that does not have the wellbeing of any of the other pieces in mind, it will fail.

Which brings us back to greed.

9. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i think you missed my point:

Greed really does not play a part for us contractors:

right now it is all about survival...certain companies (wont mention the phrase) look for a contractor who does not necessarily know his cost, bids cheaply and then has to wait to get paid putting them in a further bind and taking all his "profit or operating cash and basically flushing it.

it is not specific to this business.

All i am saying is that if you bid , bid knowing that 1. know your true operasting cost, and 2 know you will not get paid for at least 45-60 day minimum,

i wish all of us a great winter season, Remember we are the one pounding the pavement for endless hours sometime not the folks making money off your blood sweat and tears

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't miss your point.

There is greed on both sides in the nationals situation. Greed of ignorant contractors thinking they hit the big time by getting in with these scum. Then there is the greed of the nationals, because they know full well that the prices they are demanding are not reasonable and don't care that they aren't reasonable because there will be some schmuck there next year to take up the slack.

It might not be you or me who is greedy, but it is about greed. All that is needed is a fair price for the services required. If a contractor is too high, then he deserves to get replaced. If the price is too low, whether by ignorance or whatever, it is bad business based on greed of at least 2 parties. And jsut bad business.

11. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Just playing devils advocate..... whos saying a contractor is "too high"?... maybe hes spot on his bid based on HIS numbers......Just because you can come in lower doesn't translate into another contractor as "too high".... its simple business .. work with the numbers that work for YOUR company......

and I won't get into the other subject.......:yow!::laughing::drinkup:

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Free market

Next

14. Christenson77

Christenson77 Junior Member

SMS Assist out of Chicago took over the Walgreens stores last spring with the lawncare and this will be thier first year plowing with Walgreens, I have worked for them doing the Family Dollar stores.
    Your are right you will wait atleast a minimum of 30 days to get paid and the rates are half of what you yourself would charge a big company if not less, Nationals like Brickman and SMS get all these big stores nation wide then sub it out to locals for 1/2 of what we should get paid!! and o yeah we have to have thier insurance requirments and workmans comp. paid out of our pocket and wait 30 to 45 days to get paid on top of that. Nationals have almost benkrupted me if it werent for the local contracts I got on my own.!!!!

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Got a call from Walgreen today,Should I bother to call them back?

16. Christenson77

Christenson77 Junior Member

Did you get a call from walgreens or SMS? Just as long. As you can wait 30 days to get paid. But that's all commercial jobs anymore.

17. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Area code was from Illinois

18. Snowman7

Snowman7 Member
    from WI

SMS is out of Chicago on Michigan Street they are the ones calling

19. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

SMS handles the walgreens around here, if you read the contract, you'll run. Wipe your ace with the contract, do as little as possible to keep the place looking nice from the street, don't do most of the stuff in the contract, and you'll be good.
    This was my first year with them, and they're one of my most profitable accounts. This is referring to landscaping.
    Snow removal, I don't think there's many tricks to play to make up for the crumbs, when it snows, you plow. When it doesn't, you obviously can't call in a service. Well....you can try it, might work.

GV, pm me if you want more info

20. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

And some of you guys wounder why our insurance premiums are so high!! :nod: