1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wal-mart

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by powerjoke, Nov 14, 2004.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

hi i was just wondering what one of you all charged for a wal-mart supercenter avg size do you do it by the hour or per each time, we don't have a very long season here so i don't do contracts i am south of K.C. MO
    i would apreciate the help ricky@iland.net

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

The guy here gets $85.00 per hour per unit. He is always running 3 units untill it is clean. Hope this helps. :waving:

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

store like Wally World
    Plow $100 /hr.
    Cat 416 /14 push box $150 /hr.
    Sand $125 /ton

4. powerjoke

thanks guys, i knew you would know
    well it's no wonder i got the job i quoted them 50perton salt, and 40perhour, with 2 trucks and 2 skidsteers well i might be able to make up for it on the sidewalks, what do you charge and hour shoveling, maybe next year i will make a little money

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

We charge the same for shouvling as plowing because it still takes the same man and truck also add the material.

For that price you will not make enough money to pay your overhead and replace your equipment when it brakes down or needs replaced.
    Your hired helps wages, SSI, workmans comp, unemployment ins. should almost be that amount. Then there is business lic., Business Lib. insurance, and general business overhead would also add up to maybe a little less then that amount.
    Then there is the equipment. you may already own it but you will still have to replace it when it wares out. then there is maintance, tires, oil changes, lub, normal brakedowns, etc.
    I would sugest youstep back and look at your costs before you go forward with these prices.
    It looks like you are paying to plow there lot.
    ofcorse they accepted your bid, they would be foolish not to.
    I hate to see a new guy get stung but you have stered up the hole hornets nest.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  6. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Turn on your private messages. Where in central Missouri are you??

7. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

I know that this is not answering the question, but thought it to be interesting. We have 2 Wal-Mart stores and the guy who does it makes around 300K per year! I also know it requires a lot of work (p-lot is to be black at all times and so on), but good for him right?

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'd say you WAY underbid that job. You're getting $50.00 per ton of salt? I get $25.00 per 50lbs.! And, are you charging $40.00 per hour for both trucks and skid-steers? I hope not. :nono:

9. powerjoke

mercy
    well i guess i'll know better next year. but as wet as it has been this year buisness has been rediculosly slow this year and any income is better than none i just hope i don't have any breakdowns this year or it'll realy come bask to bite me in the a@#,. Butt however i am a man of my word and i'll stick to it this year butt i'll amake up for it next year payup, and yes that is 40perhour per machine weather it be a truck or heavyequip. :confused: . thanks for the input
    BOAST CALL ME (660)885-1521
    Thanks Rick

10. plowed

plowed Senior Member

What are you paying for the salt? Around here it's about $70 a ton, picked up and loaded. Then you have to spend the time to apply it.

11. powerjoke

i pay 47 a ton with a 20 ton minimum and i get 40/hour spread

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Just for you I hope the hell it don't snow.
    If it were me, word or no word I would aproch the manager and tell him I made a mistake and would be unable to do the work for that price. You could really loose your A$$ if it were to snow much.

13. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We don't charge by the hour, but we base our prices on these figures.

plow trucks $125 - $175 per hour

loader $250 ph

salt from $125 - $240 per ton applied ( but I'd rather get the $1000 a ton at $25 per 50lbs.)

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You get paid "by the hour" for spreading salt???

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Besides, that doesn't make sense. How many tons would you spread in an hour? More than one and your losing money.

16. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

We try to get $40.00 per hour commercial here. Usually it is $30.00 to $35.00. Every farmer with a 4x4 truck here has a plow in the winter. They don't care what they make, Cash is Cash.

I try to bid by the job and do it as efficiently as possible. It has to be worth my time. I won't bid on just everything, either.

Goes to show how pricing differs around the country,
    Mark K

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Mick I am going to guess and hope he is getting $40/hour for the salt truck and $50/ton of salt. But you should never spread salt by the hour. You could dump 10 tons in that parking lot in 30 min.

18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've bid jobs real high before because I didn't want them and I STILL got them! :dizzy:

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How can you put a truck on the road for $30-35/hr. Gas has to be $7-10. A transmission is a couple of grand, insurance and everything else that isn't even possible. The stock boy inside Wal-Mart has to be making more then your net. I know everyone needs to make money but there is no money left at the end of the day.

20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Come on man...are you really doing 50$ per ton...Id be outta buisness. Im getting 27$ per 50lb bag. Is this a joke or wut? :eek: