1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wal-Mart ordered to pay $15M to trucker who slipped in Greeley

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LoneCowboy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

GREELEY (AP) - A Colorado jury has awarded $15 million to a truck driver who said she slipped and fell on ice and grease while making a delivery to a Wal-Mart in Greeley.

Wal-Mart tells the Greeley Tribune that it's considering appealing the award for 41-year-old Holly Averyt of Cheyenne, which a jury ordered Friday.

Her lawyer, Gregory Gold, thinks it could be one of the highest slip-and-fall verdicts in the country.

Gold presented city documents showing that some grease from the store's deli didn't get trapped in a device designed to keep it from getting into the sewer. He said Averyt had to undergo three spine surgeries, was unable to return to work and lost her truck.

A Wal-Mart spokesman that the company respectfully disagrees with the verdict.
    (Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
  2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

How much are the attorneys receiving?!
  3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

4. leon

leon Senior Member

Walmart injury award

So it seems the grease trap was not pumped when it was supposed to be pumped and overflowed and as a result she slipped on the grease that welled out of the basin.

The question which is not answered is whether it was inside as it the normal installation of grease traps as they are tied in to the prep sink drains and dish washing machines.

Grease trap pits are normally placed just inside an exterior door to allow the honey wagons easy access with a hose.

I would bet the Wally Mart actuary insurance commandos in Little Rock, Arkansas are on a reconnaicense mission now and are preparing a counter offer which is the usual procedure.

These attorneys are usally paid a third of the award or the "Negotiated settlement" After the awards which essentially are not manadatory in payment size.
  5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

im not sure if the walmarts are like jewels, meijers and dominicks out here (major grocery stores) but im a commercial plumber that builds and remodels these stores and the catch basins are usually out in the loading dock. they are massive tanks that i have seen overflowing on more then a few occasions as the store never remembers to get em emptied til the whole store is basically backed up from them being overfull, not to mention the guys they usually hire to clean up out make a nasty mess most of the time. ive whiped out a few times bringing concrete or stone through loading dock areas to dumpsters.
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

welcome to year 2010. everyone is sue happy. it keeps alot of lawyers around

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i wish i could slip on some grease.
  9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You would trade being permanently disabled for a few million $$$?

Not me :waving:
  10. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Remember Roy, it's Ben..........................read his post again and think about it. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with payup

J/K GP

still laughing :laughing:
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I drove a honey wagon for 3 years. 95% of grease traps i pumped the store was on a schedule. Like every 90days etc. They didn't have to call.
  12. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

13. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

I highly do not think she will ever see a dime from that judgment, Wally World will keep appealing it tell she runs out of money to pay retainers for her lawyers
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt that, they'll probably pay and move on to get it out of the lime light. Thats a drop in the bucket for Walmart.