1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wal-Mart, Lowes & Menards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CHCSnowman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Do these companies use nationals or local companies for snow & ice? Can you do just S&I or do you have to do power washing, lot cleaning and mowing as well?

Thanks,
    Randy

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I cant say for all of them but I do know the Wa;-Mart and Lowes near me use local companies for snow removal.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Just because they have a "local" company on the lot doesn't mean that corporate didn't hire a national to manage it. The lowes here are national, we did them one year for them.

4. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

He didn't ask who manages it, he asked who DOES it. There is a difference.

5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Nationals do not do anything except rip off a local subcontractor to do the actual work.

I read and understood the original question to be asking do those stores deal with locals directly or do they only deal with Nationals.

6. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, that is what I mean. Sorry for the confusion.

I have subbed work for the last 15 years and been thinking of maybe getting a couple of my own accounts. My buddy works at Wal Mart and said he could probably get us that account, I told him I thought they were national contracts and he said no. Just got me to wondering.....

7. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

Walmart is bid by the local manager menards is also

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Most of them consider anything outside the walls of the store "grounds maintenance" and bid the contract as a package for all grounds services. Does anyone know if Lowes uses a national or if the store manager does the RFP's?

9. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I know Menards here does everything local.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well one year my local lowes had a sigh posted in the contractors door area for snow plowing but i have not seen it up ever again and from what i see when i go by a differnt contractor every year. this year there is nothing left on site as in past years.

11. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Wal-marts has gone away from using a national. They are either done locally or by a regional. USM had them for years.

Lowes is done by a national, or multiple nationals.

Menards, done locally, but a joke. You bid out per hour and have to use their salt. We put a bid in one year and the per-hour price for equipment was a joke.

Winner was 50 bucks an hour for a truck, skid steers at 60an hour and wheel loaders and tractors going for 80. I laughed and walked away. Funny thing is though, I talk to people who regularly work there and they always wonder if the contractors are milking it and inflating the actual hours.

12. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I could see any milking it to make ends meat lol.

It;s funny it's like these big co's want to get screwed i have heard about how co who are headquartered 1500 miles away are controling the heat and a/c in stores from there when they don't even know what the temp actually feels like. seams the same with snow how can a guy run a sub from 1500 miles away ?? and the fools are the guys who work for them for nothing but still have all the legal bs to go along with it ??