1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Waking up a 360

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Feb 1, 2010.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I'm curious what programmers, "chips" etc. There are out there for the 360. I just want to wake it up a little. Not looking to spend a whole lot. And if it's expensive I just won't do it. Also curious how they affect trans life expectancy. I'm 99.99% sure I'll be trading it up for a cummins/dmax/psd in the fall but I would like to make these last few months somewhat enjoyable. Lol. Also, are there any out there that will increase mpg? Or is it either power or efficiency? My mpg is already bad so going from 9-10 to 8-9 isnt a huge deal to me.
    Tell me what you know/what's out there! Lol

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i woldn't waste your money. jmo

3. WilliamOak

Kinda what I was figuring, wanted to hear others opinions exactly like that.

4. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

A programmer or chip is was waste of money on most gas motors, you could do a cold air intake, some shorty headers, a high flow cat and a nice 3" single exhaust will really wake it up and you should get a few mpg's. But if your gonna get rid of it dont waste your money it will not make your truck worth more, just save your money for a down payment

5. WilliamOak

Down payment won't be an issue, I'm writing a check for whatever I get. No loans, especially since I'm 18 anyways. No way I'm dumping a lot of $ into this truck though, I figured if it was relatively cheap that I'd go for it but I'll just have to live with it.

6. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

Why no loan?? Why not get some credit going. I know its easier and much nicer to pay cash for everything but having good credit will take you much farther in bussiness and life, if your not stupid and get over your head. I bought a brand new honda motorcycle a week after i graduated high school, i had the cash but took the loan just to get some credit going thats how i've done almost all my stuff other than the 4 wheeler and the 03 F-250

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing:

8. WilliamOak

Because I wouldn't be able to get a loan. Believe me i've tried. Maybe I'd have a better chance with buying a truck and putting 80% down. I'm not a fan of payments, and especially with being in college a truck payment is the last thing I want. I'm all for building credit but at my age, why not pay cash if you can? I have the rest of my life to be in debt. Plus paying off my student loans will give me better credit.

And mark- I told you, I'm a changed man. Lol

9. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

Thats cool, didnt know you were in school. I would pay cash to.

Those 360 mopars are good, I've had a 97 1500 and two of my buddies had them also, if you let them breath they will move but there not gonna hang with a newer hemi or gm 5.3 the 5.4 fords are under powered we could usually give them a run for there money.......... o the good old days, I miss em

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Credit doesn't equal debt. I got my first credit cards while on spring break in college, it was a citi card. I just bought gas with it, paid the minimum amount due the following month, then the month after that (2 months later) I paid it off completely. Doing this shows the credit card companies responisibility with credit, and waiting the 2 months allows them to collect a month of interest which will be reported to the credit bureau's. I did this for a year and had perfect credit- 800. I now have 3 credit cards that I could purchase a house with, but will I ever- No, because its not responsible. Can I easily get a mortgage or a car loan- Yes. If you have problems getting a small car loan, than even renting an apartment out of college can be an issue as some places check credit history for that. Renting a hotel room without a credit card is hard, etc.

Back to the topic- Buy a Hypertech used. They seem to work best with the 5.2/5.9's and you can find them cheap- $100-$200, use it for however long you have your truck, then return the programing to stock and resell it for the same amount you bought it for.

11. WilliamOak

Oh yea, I'm in the process of getting a small credit card and using it for exactly that. Debt in the way I was referring to is more of going into a truck loan and then being screwed when I graduate once I have to start paying off my student loans too... So more of a troublesome debt. As far as getting a car loan though, I haven't heard of one 18yr. old being able to get one without a cosigner In the last year or so.

What is the benefit of a hypertech? More jump, power, mpg?

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing will beat a nice lumpy cam!!!!

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Got ya- good game plan. I haven't applied for a loan in a year so I forgot how much has changed. The credit card will help you though!

The hypertech will give you more power, basically will help it rev more linear and not have any power drop off's. You'll feel it in the seat of the pants. Downside is you'll need to use higher octane fuel. The 5.9's ping as it is, so the hypertech changes the timing for more power which you'll need 91 or better octane.

A lot of 5.9 guys also go with Rocker arms, I believe 1.7's which acts almost like you have a better cam in the truck but its much easier to do.

14. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I run a programmer on my 2500 and it is a great addition. Anyone that has driven it loves the increase in power. It's not a huge different but you will indeed feel the increase and enjoy the added power. I got a tad better fuel economy as well but the trade off is the need to run premium fuel. The additional mpg I get offsets the additional duggets I have to shell out for fuel though.

15. WilliamOak

Yea, I'm just gonna live with it for the next 6 months or so.