1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wake up your 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Dec 23, 2008.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Put a Hypertech Max Energy programmer on my 04 F350 today. Big difference in power. Right now I have it set for 87octane (just filled up when it was delivered) Going to try 93 octane but am very happy with the performance increase so far. Can't wait to see how it helps pushing snow. Cost 359.99.

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

hate to tell you but you need to try out a sct x-cal2....i had the hypertech...the x-cal will add 50% more power for same price..

3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Dissociative- How many HP gain did you get?

4. Dissociative

well, i didn't dyno mine, prolly 50 but if you research around you will see what i am talking about..

the sct is the best one for fords...most power...best results...it's a custom tune, not a generic fit all tune..

hyper isn;t bad, just not as good as it can get...thats all

5. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

How do these work? I have seen the Edge systems for F-150's that have the dash pod but I have yet to see a dash mounted programmer for the 5.4 in a F-250.

6. Dissociative

sct reflashes the comp via the obd2 port...

7. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

so there is no dash control, like level one, level two or anything like that?

8. FordFisherman

from 06611

Danscapes- The Edge Evolution only works on the F150 5.4. They have not created a programmer for the 250-350 Gas. Hypertech says gains up to 35 hp. It feels like it went up 25 anyway. Look into the tuner Dissociative mentioned, I wasn't aware I could get something better, but give it a look.

9. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

So which would be best for a 05 350 5.4?

10. F-350PSD

F-350PSD Junior Member

too bad you guys dont have diesels... i got a custom tune for my with 25 hp. 50 hp. 100 hp. and stock settings all on a switch. not to mention the high idle and no start settings. and thats nothing with new injectors you can get 180 hp. tunes.

11. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yeah, too bad. Too bad I like it when my truck starts in the morning. LOL!!! Too bad my fuel doesn't gel when it gets cold. LOL!! Too bad.

12. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

??? Too bad that's pretty much a thing of the past and I couldn't dream of plowing with a gas truck. Too bad. But to each his own

I am glad to hear there's a tune out there that's working well for the 5.4, I know they have always felt just under the edge power wise, I am sure that little boost really puts it at a nice workable level of power.

13. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

Been running the SCT for 3 years now on 03 f250 5.4. I can't tell you how much it has made a difference. Most of the HP gains you feel are from shift pressures meaning that when it hits a little harder you think you have more power.Yes you get maybe 20-30 hp more at certain rpm but the gas mileage and trans Benefit are the big savings. I pull a 10000 trailer around in the summer and without the SCT if feels like its 20000. My Xcal 2 lets me adjust spark advance and shift pressure among other things.. best investment any SD owner can make.. IMO

14. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

How much improvement on gas mileage?

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Does any one have a web site for the sct?

16. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Ford 6.9--I was only busting your chops. I like the diesels too. I'm not sure about the 6.4, but I am excited about the new Scorpion. We'll see. If only I could get the Cummins in a Superduty straight from the factory. Oh well....

17. nocigarette

nocigarette Junior Member
    from mi

I would like to find a way to buy one also...

18. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I know, It's all in good fun. Merry Christmas

I held off on buying a new truck due to the 6.4 and such mixed reviews. From gas millage to engine issues I just didn't want to spend the money and run into issues. I am just excited for something new to hit the market, I am going to be buying another truck next year and frankly don't like my options.

19. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

20. JaysLawns

JaysLawns Junior Member

Hey sonicblue, so after you bought the xcal 2 did you have to send it into sct or did you just take it to a local dealer and have it custom tuned and then did you dyno it? Thanks

Jay