1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wake up service

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by somervillesnow, Aug 21, 2012.

1. somervillesnow

somervillesnow Junior Member

Had 12 accounts last year. I would set my alarm based on the forecast. There was one morning where there was some surprise snow not in the forecast. Thankfully I happened to wake up at 4AM and looked out the window just to see if there was any snow. I can plan to set my sleep schedule to wake up at 5 on a regular basis but as I get more properties even that won't be good enough for surprise storms (though usually surprise storms are light in my area). And there is the problem of the significant other being bothered by the irregular sleep habits. It would be nice if there was some sort of wake up service, eg if there was snow, you'd get automated call.

Any strategies?
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, set your alarm earlier. As you get bigger you need to have another guy or 2 that you can trust and you can share getting up early and doing site checks and such. We do some 24 hr places and security is suppose to call but generally we are onsite before they even call. I don't want to count the times I set my alarm in 1 hour intervals and it never actually snows but that's part of the game. Sometimes it's better just ot get in the habit of getting up and staying up at 3 or 4 am.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Just as Dave said it is part of this business, same as him I'm up repeatedly when snow us predicted, in my market on the shores of the Great Lakes, that's anytime temp us below freezing, all it takes is a wind shift. It is a responsibility that comes with this business.
    I will add though with a smart phone & some research it has made life easier, I now can find web cameras through my service area to check from my bed. An I pad would be better but this works OK.
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

She needs to understand your priorities, and you hers. If she gets bothered because you are screwing up her sleep...you need to camp out in a different part of the house and not disturb her.

What these guys said.
  5. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I take a peak outside every hour. If we have anything at the house I go do a drive through of my accounts. I also rely on a network of friends who work third shift. I also am good friends with the sherrif deputy who does the night patrol. If anything pops up he calls. Works pretty good for me except I still like to see for myself. The online cams work good especially if your lucky enough to have one at the lot you plow.
  6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

What's already been said, but for me it's also about maintaining some level of control as being the decision maker, not some guy sitting behind a desk earning minimum wage. Their timing is usually bad & often times screws up my game plans. I'd rather be a little tired by checking more often, than to be stressed & loosing money or even worse rendering bad service or loosing leverage. Believe it or not, in this business you also have to consider things like resentment & ulterior motives...don't think for a minute that those low paid security guys don't have it made up in their minds that you make too much money, while they sit there all night watching the clock & have too much time to think...they have friends too & your probably not one of them, even though they may seem nice. Besides all of that, who knows more about the weather & temp conditions than you do?
  7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If there's even a 20% chance I get to the office at midnight, and just plan on working all night, whether its paperwork, or snow related.

If there's no chance, and temps are 35 and below, I'm up at 2 and 5 to make sure there hasnt been any freezing ANYTHING. The closest lot to my house is a 2 min. drive, and it has all the right stuff. (north facing front entrance, sloping parking lot, lots of islands, heavy foot traffic, shaded area asphalt) to give me a good indication if anything else needs a check.

Welcome to the BUSINESS of snow and ice control.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I always joke with some of my friends and say if you ever call me late and I sound like I'm sleeping or out of it. Just say its snowing and I'll be wide awake.

surprise snow storms, competition sleeping in and wet and heavy snow falls are what I love.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Have your wife sit up all night and watch for snow as you sleep. If says no, as stated ,set your alarm for at least 2am.
  10. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Sleep in April
  11. grandview

Last season I slept all winter with all the snow we didn't get.:sleeping:
  12. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

You lie. You had to take all your loot from seasonals to the bank on a regular basis.
  13. grandview

We have a bank with a Timmy's in it so it worked out good.Thumbs Up
  14. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

The invasion is working!!..One Timmys at a time Thumbs Up

15. MConst

MConst Junior Member

We subscribe to WeatherWorks. Its a 3rd party weather service that produces "certified snow totals" for any given zip code. Awesome service and alleviates any question when it comes to billing the incremental contracts.

They also provide emailed snow warnings and weather reports. I believe they will also send alerts if requested. They are a multitude of weather services out there. We go with WeatherWorks because contract stipulation. Hope thats helpful.
  16. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

There is no service that I would trust. The 11 pm weather guy will stick with his 5pm forecast and then blame why he was wrong the next day on something. Sometimes they won't even acknowledge they blew the forecast. If it's winter, colder than 35 and there is a cloud in the sky or clouds on the radar you had better be awake and ready to go.

The guys referred to in another post who charge $30 an hour probably sleep until 5am, but that's why they charge $30 and are looking for work.
  17. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

My alarm gets set every hour if there's a chance of snow, I am also real close with a few contractors in town, one being a cousin, we always call one another if a storm comes out of no where and usually always talk early on to make sure everyone got out ok. It's not fool proof but it's better than nothing, you usually just have to rely on yourself to get up, after all that is what our customers pay us to do so they don't have to worry about it.
  18. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

The anticipation of the event is generally worse than the event itself. Think about it. 3 days out they start calling for snow. You start thinking, preparing and losing sleep.

The best thing may be to wake up and say oh no! LOL. Lose sleep and enjoy the business when it comes.
  19. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You guys kill me, 3 days to prepare, etc. We are in lake effect areas, sometimes we get no notice, it can be clear in one spot snowing in others, etc. A slight wind shift is all it takes, if it is below freezing I'm up at 3am checking, I have another contractor (& good friend) that works a full time job till 11;30 pm & will call if its snowing then. I have a pic on my facebook page my truck has 4-6" on it, my clients had nothing. I spent the day stressing, watching web cams, calling spoters (who probably thought I was crazy). Its part of the job.
  20. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Go out and get one of these.......Place it in your bedroom....He will let you know when to get up.....:salute:.......:eek:......:nod:......