1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wake Up Calls

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alpha Property, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

So you guys just set ur alarms for 3:00 and peek out the window and then either get to work or go back to sleep? There was no snow in the forcast for lastnight here in southern ontario and i awoke to about an inch in niagara, i still gopt leaves on the ground to pick up for customers for annother week, not ready for snow yet!
  2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

That sounds about right .
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

3:45 AM for me. out the door at 4:00 plowing by 4:15 awake by 5:00:D
  4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yup mine goes off at 2:00 and if i think they may need service i go then. otherwise back to bed

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Same here just set alarm and look outside.Cant trust the weather man
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I wait for a phone call from one of you guys to tell me it's snowing.:rolleyes:
  7. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

if its snowing the scanner keeps me up have the night thats how i tell
  8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Can I call you collect :confused: :jester:
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Must be nice to sleep in until 3 AM.

Depends on the forecast, sometimes I'm up at 11 PM, otherwise 1 AM at the latest. Takes about an hour for my to get everyone in and the equipment rolling.
  10. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

alarm clock? I don't sleep when we're getting a storm.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm kinda the same way. I get so excited!! Otherwise I wake up around 1 or 2 and get the stuff ready to go out by 3. I call everyone the night before and tell them when I expect them to be at my house
  12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Usually- if it looks like its gonna snow I'll get the truck ready the night before (plow on, ballast in, load up truck with supplies and shovels etc), then set the alarm for 3A- if I need to work, I grab breakfast and head out- have a 5 hour route so the importaint ones are done by 7A for people to get to work. If not, back to bed until it snows enough to plow.

Ofcourse- I also had to wake up early to get them all plowed before high school- glad that's over (in college now :jester:)
  13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

fall alseep and hope that my phone rings,,,,,,,, the only problem is when your sleeping and hear your cellphone ring in your sleep every half hour just to wake up and have no missed calls:realmad:
  14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Anytime there is a 30% chance of snow drive around at midnight, check radars, weather forecasts, if it looks like there is a chance of more coming, sleep in a parking lot for an hour, recheck radars....drive to far north and south jobs mobilize workers, or go back to bed.
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I check the radar just before going to bed and if I wake up to pee I will check it again. Alarm is set for midnight and I am plowing by 1am.
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

My internal alarm clock works best for me. I cant really sleep well when I know it is snowing anyway. I am always awaiting the next phone call, from customer or employee, so I sleep very light. I also listen for the town plow trucks going by.
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I was wondering if someone else was in my time zone. 3am is too late to get the ball rolling.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have to be ready at 2am to push unless its really comming down before when I go to bed, then I just get up every hour or so depending on how the radar is looking. We have 24 hour places that have to be monitored so we take turns keepin an eye, that way between dad and I atleast 1 can get a good rest. No point in both guys sitting at the window. I try and get to bed asap before it snows.

I have parking lot camera on my own lot so I can see how we are doing in I am out of area. Its crazy where we are cause we could have a foot here on the water and 15 mins away couldbe dry.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:waving: :nod: :cool: :D