1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting for the snow--Diversify the business

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcress31, Oct 16, 2010.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are some pics of a heavy equipment training class I started last week. I have two groups of 10 students that I will be training over an 8 weeks period. I will be training them how to operate an excavator, front end loader and a dozer. So far I have one week done and all is going well.

jccoct2010 019.jpg

jccoct2010 020.jpg

jccoct2010 021.jpg

jccoct2010 022.jpg
  2. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I did one of those class's years ago with dozer, backhoe, grader and scraper. I ended up running an excavator for about 20 years along with doing alot of finish grading on a dozer. The class I took mainly helped teach me to take very good care of the equipment and alot about reading and understanding grade and how to lay it out for building roads and parking lots. We didn't get as much seat time as I was hoping for, maybe 40 hours on each piece.

If you need any classroom material let me know, I can dig up my old books.
  3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

How much do you charge for the course. Very good use of equipment not in use.
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wanna come play with all the fancy equipment!
  5. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I too would like to see about attending a class to get better refineing my skills and a better idea about grades and such. I did work 10 years for a local paving company transporting equipment from job sites and operating various equipment on site doing mainly rough work nuttin finished
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Great pictures. That sounds like a realy good program you got there.
  7. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks for the offer on the materials but I think I actually have more than enough. After the course is done the students will have 160 hrs on the 3 machines.
  8. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

The course is in partnership with our local college who went out and got some government funding to pay for part or all of the course. Each students tuition was $12,000 and we took a good portion of that for our part.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

And what certs and such did you have to get to be able to teach this course?
  10. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

I have my surface miner common core 3 modules and I have completed the train the trainer module which allows me to train other people. I also have my underground diamond drill common core as well. On top of that I have completed additional modules in how to operate an Excavator, Skidsteer, Bulldozer, Grader, Front end Loader, Fuel truck, Production haulage truck, Water truck, Portable screening plant and Operating flame cutting equipment. With all of these modules complete it allows me to train people how to operate the equipment which is covered by the modules.
  11. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

The training that I am providing is just the basics of how to operate and maintain machinery. I find if you were already an experienced operator looking to get more proficient in your existing skills the courses are harder to find and a little more costly. Its too bad that a lot of companies don't allow their operators to keep growing and advancing their skills so that they can be more valuable to the company later on.
  12. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

where is the course being taught?
  13. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We are teaching it in our pit. We have a portable classroom set up as well. We are located just outside of Marathon, Ont. 300 km east of Thunder Bay or 400km North West of Sault Ste Marie.
  14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Pretty typical of most training centres. Its almost impossible to train an operator to run equipment specific to a job...most of that comes with time on the seat.
  15. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

halfway to the middle of nowhere. But great country.
  16. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Her are some more pictures of my students playing in our pit. I have about seven more days with them and then I have a second group of ten to start with. Starting on monday I will be training them on how to load trucks and grade and maintain roads and parking lots.

jccoct2010train 001.jpg

jccoct2010train 002.jpg

jccoct2010train 003.jpg

jccoct2010train 004.jpg

jccoct2010train 005.jpg
  17. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are some more pics.

jccoct2010train 006.jpg

jccoct2010train 007.jpg

jccoct2010train 008.jpg

jccoct2010train 009.jpg

jccoct2010train 010.jpg
  18. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Here are the last of the pics so far. In the last picture that is our old 980 B with a big rock in a 5 yd bucket.

jccoct2010train 011.jpg

jccoct2010train 012.jpg
  19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Great pics! That looks like alot of fun.....for you and the students!
  20. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't agree more. Often it seems you are stuck to one certain machine and get very little experience on other types of equipment, so you end up being a one trick pony.

Most of my operator experience is with rock trucks & Cat 966, 972, 980 loaders. I would really love to try a dozer, we have at work a D8T with ripper that is very low hours and has been sitting in the same spot for over a year. But it does make a great yard ornament though.