1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Waiting for snow to end

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pats plowing, Dec 13, 2007.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Is anyone else waiting for the snow to stop before returning/going out plowing. I spent hours driving to do a few places and so I am waiting until later tonight when the roads are clear. It's a lot but it seemed pretty light.

I heard on the radio people were leaving their cars to walk in the Ted Williams tunnel.

2. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Ya we are waiting to go out until about 9:30 tonight. Hopefully most folks will be off the road by then and the storm will have slowed or stopped. This way our customers only have to pay for one push and we are able to be safer.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I got my first round done and now will just wait for it to stop and make the second round. I might get some sleep now and go back out around 3 AM once the town plows have gotten everything done.

4. Quite a night here in MA. This was my first storm behind a plow and I had a great time. I sub for a town so there was no waiting for the snow to stop; we were scrambling to keep the roads open. Considering I was only plowing streets, I'm surprised how much backing up I did. Not only long runs in reverse to get out of cul-de-sacs but also the intersection cleanup was a lot of back and forth. Still, I think I like this kind of work better than driveways.

The town released me around 1am and I went and cleared a couple other places I have and went home.

Not to bad for my first time out! :)

5. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

Well, I went out at about 2:30 pm, did my route til about 5pm, got stuck in traffic between two accounts for 1hr and 45 minutes, started around the route for the second time from about 8 til 2 a.m., snoozed til 5 and cleaned up until 1:30 pm. Total accumulation for my area was 10.25 inches. Of course, 3 inches of that fell in about 45minutes, right around 4pm.
    Now it's melting, and I should have some room to push Sunday's Nor'Easter. But regardless of how the storm hits for Sunday, I'm not plowing anyone from 1-4pm.;)
    Later,
    Chris

6. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Yeah...me too

I'm on the MA NH border and I waited until 9pm to go out and start...there was more snow than i thought!
    Was all done by 2am and then I went and did the freebies...(GF's house and Parent's house)
    Made a pass by 2 customers to make sure town plows hadn't come by again, and they didn't.
    Finally got into bed at 5am...then got a "come plow me out"! call at 8am...Grrrr...!! Oh well..got another account out of it!
    Can't wait til I get enough accounts that I can drop some of the "crappy to do" ones...

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

you guys suck

That same storm dumped a load of rain on us and melted all of our snow and you guys get a foot of it. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

What a storm! We ended up with around a foot or more. I went back out this morning at 3:30 AM and got done plowing around noon. THEN I had to do my regualar jobs at my horse farm. It's 5:30 PM and it is the first time I've stopped. Plowed a total of probably 13 hours out of the last 24 and worked a 18 hours. Time for bed so I can get ready for this next one.