1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wait till you hear this one!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BayviewLawn, Jan 9, 2006.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Ok sit down for this one.I knew old people were goofy sometimes but what the HELL!!

Iv only had to plow my seasonals twice so far.The first time i plowed this old ladys house,when i arrived it was already half plowed but they pushed the snow probly 30 feet accross her front yard tearing up her lawn BIG time.I was a little late getting there so i thought maybe she had a guy do it cuz i was late.
    Next time i plowed no problem....put her snow by the curb where she had requested and no one else had plowed before me.
    she calls me 2 days ago....we had maybe 2 inches of snow...i didnt plow...my trigger is 3 inches.
    Says shes pissed...me and my big black truck has plowed her driveway again and ruined her lawn again!I tell her i didnt plow today and all my trucks are red so it wasnt me.But ill keep my out for a black truck and see if i can help her track this guy down.(hes never stopped and asked for money)so who knows who he is or why hes plowing.i ask her if its her guy from last year she says no way.

Today she calls me,shes called the police about it and they said that she should make me fix her lawn.No one else could have done it, it had to be me,and i probly did it cuz she whined one time that i chraged her $10 more than the guy last year,so im being vengeful and plowing her lawn on purpose.
    I tell her my truck is red....she saw a black truck..she says the cop told her i probly hired a guy to do her driveway and ruin her lawn.

I explained that i have better things todo than try to get a 83 old lady pissed by hiring plows to ruin her lawn.She tells me her son is pissed about it and hes gonna call me when he comes to check on her thursday.

My question is....do old people sit around just trying to be a pain in the a$$???If i ever get that way somebody please KILL ME!!:gunsfiring:

Thanks for lettin me vent...i needed that

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

lol

We have a customer like that...

She must be like 100 years old, she calls us once a year to do her bushes and that's it, needless to say her lawn is about a foot long. Now it would look horrible if other people saw us pull up with all the equipment do her three little bushes and leave the lawn the way it is. The yard isnt very big so it only takes like twenty minutes. I do the lawn while the guys do the bushes. She comes hobblin up to the window yellin at me at the top of her lungs that she is calling the police on us cause we are trying to break into her house and chop her up with the hedge trimmers. This happens every year always commin after her for one reason or another.

So we wait for the cops, luckily its my buddy and they seemed used to calls like this. So we finished the job and sent her a bill for the bushes only....never got paid called her and she claimed that she didnt hire a landscaper

LOL i feel bad that she cant remember a thing but good grief ....

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

bayview i think it is time to drop her. she is going to be a constant pain it the butt.

4. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

If i dropped every old lady that was a pain id be broke!lol
    Shes paid in advance for the season so i cant really drop her....my big concern is shes telling her nieghbors it was Bayview Lawn that did this.How much buisness am i gonna get in her area for mowing when they all saw the cops taking a report on what a rotten plower i am!!:dizzy:

5. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

give her a refund for the full season price. Tell her to find someone else to do it. Its not worth the agrivation. Cut your loses were they are.
    Evan

6. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Sounds like trouble. What you do is go there next storm, or if you have an employee, have him do it, or a friend. And back right behind the guy and not let him out and find out who he is and bring him up to the old lady.

The old lady sounds messed up. I wouldn't quit though, because then she'll think you're even worse. Tell her to find someone new if she must, and she'll notice that the guy still plows.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Drop her man I know the type. Nothing is ever right.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Your correct about your rep

Hey Tim, before this gets out of hand I would call the neighbors and offer them a token reward for getting the license plate of this black plow truck.

Go to www.whitepages.com, type in the old lady's phone number under the reverse lookup tab, then click the find neighbors button. Call them up, introduce yourself and yadda yadda yadda.

Whats the address? I'll be another pair of eyes for you, just try to find out what color blade and the style of warning light.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

look at it from her point of view ...
    what would you do if you paid some guy to plow your driveway and he tore up your lawn ? who would you call for answers ?

maybe you should try and work with her , get this figured out and probably do a sod install in the spring. payup payup payup
    all you have to next storm is ask her to watch for the guy to come plow her driveway . get his license and call the cop's. offer her a big discount on the season for plowing < to make her happy > then make it up come spring when she wants the nice lawn guy to come do her property.

10. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

I hear what your saying nekos but she just couldnt grasp that i didnt do it.after i got over the fact that she was accusing me and not listening to my explanation i went into buissness mode.lol

Told her hire me for the mowing season and we would fix her yard for free.She said she has no money and pays the kid next door $5 every other week to mow her lawn.
    Im not fixing her yard and mowing 2 week old grass for $5.I told her id watch out for the mysterious black plow truck that plows for free.Not sure what else i can do aside from drop her,but i cant do that id feel bad..... i guess im too new to the buisness ,i still have a slight bit of compassion even for old complaining ladies...im sure ill get past that!lol

11. nekos

nekos Senior Member

ohhh ok , never mind my last post . give her money back and run !!! lol

12. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

All old people do all day is sit and look out their window (it seems), and you don't think she should know who tore up her lawn? I wouldn'y do anything for her except refund the remainder of the season and say "bye bye crazy lady"

Heck NO! This lady complained about $10, she is not going to pay for a sod install.

Yes, watch for the plower, but not call the cops, go out and talk to him and ask him who he is, chances are she would call the cops on Bayview. And NO discount and don't even offer to mow her lawn. At the very least, this should be your last season with her patronage.

Why do some guys think that giving everything away is the answer?

13. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

Does her son or neighbor own a big black truck ?!!~!!!!Because all of my trucks do the neighbors out of the kindness of our hearts especially the seniors so maybe a neighbor...

do right for one customer she may tell someone about you
    do wrong for one customer she tells a 1,000 people

14. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

There are a alot of guys here locally that will just drive around before they go to work and plow every drive on the street for free, because that spankin nice piece of red metal on the front of their brand new truck came with it already on, so why not use it......

One of my guys pulled up to one of our commercial lots last year and a homeowner was in there "trying out" his new plow.. WTF!! Chris put his truck in front of the exit and called the police. You don't plow a lot that is not yours without getting permission first. The company that owns this particular lot, filed trespassing charges.

Welcome to Rochester NY!!!!:realmad: :realmad:

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Nice!:bluebounc

16. RickO

RickO Junior Member
    from Ohio

It's time to visit

Hey bayviewlawn,

I think you could fix this with about 30 minutes of visiting with the lady. I'm not talking about visiting about snow plowing either. Find out what she likes and strike a convers. with her. Old people are suckers for someone who will give them a minute to talk.

She will think your "just the nicest young man" after you visit with her about her roses for 30 minutes. :D

17. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Doesn't always work....it does but not always. I had a summer customer...old dutch lady......knowing this with her last name and me being dutch as well struck up a conversation, found out she came over on the same boat as my mom and grandparents but on a different voyage. You would think this would be a nice cominality between us...nope....biggest PITA Ive ever had.....she would be in the window watching us each time...she would come out and complain....I had my WB down to an inch for spite and she still said it wasn't low enough.

18. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

While i would be pissed at 1st to see someone plowing a lot i was being paid to do, after i talked with the person and found out they were just playing with their new truck why would you be mad? I would have told them they need to stop and leave and not do it again as they have no insurance and they shouldn't be there but call the cops? WTF.

19. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Yes but if after he leaves u find damage on the site caused by him? Who pays for that? I would of said forget calling the cops...do it old styles man...pull the guy out of the truck and kick his a#$ LOL. That would teach him a lesson...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

As a proffesional plower you could tell if anything is damaged on a lot you plow by seeing whats been plowed. You know your lots don't you?
    Maybe the guy in the truck does it new school way, pumps 5 rounds in your gut and leave you in the snow and thinks nothing of it. Maybe he even plows you into the snow bank, see you in the spring.:)