1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wages for Sidewalk Crew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by r_d337, Nov 18, 2008.

1. r_d337

r_d337 Junior Member

Lately I have been second guessing the wages I pay out to my sidewalk clearing guys.
    We clear by hand a lot of small residential walks and drives and also commercial type sidewalks. The main tools used are snow blowers, backpack blowers, and shovels.
    We start around 5:00 am whenever it snow (any amount). We generally have about 10 events per month, so the work is still fairly part time.

I have been paying my guys $16 / hr to start and up to $18 / hr if they work out good.
    I am the crew leader.

I am located in Alberta, Canada so wages seem to be a bit higher here then every where else. But do you guys think I am off? To high to low?
  2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Starting at 5:00 am, how many hours do your guys actually get to log per event? The 10 events per month is far more than we get, and your $16-18 would seem fair here, but our guys can log ten hours per event. We actually go up to 20 per our to retain good guys and make it worth their while. If you have your work done by 8am and your guys get three hours each, you are way too low imo. Would you wake up at 4am and be late to your day job for part-time and unpredictable work that nets you $48?
  3. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Here in Colorado, most companies start at $17 for sidewalk guys and $25 for drivers
  4. r_d337

r_d337 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far. We start at 5:00 am and do all the commercial accounts first then move onto the residential accounts. Some people would say I should start earlier, however no one is even at any of my properties until 7 or 8 am. So if it is snowing through the night and I clear their walks at 3 am and they get out at 8 am they are going to think I forgot about them. Usually the snow fall is pretty light so on average we would be done by 10:00 am, unless there is a huge dump, no later then 12:00 noon. I pay a min. 4 hours labor no matter how long we are out for, so if we only worked for 3 hrs they would still get paid for 4.

Do you guys prefer to pay your guys a lump sum per call out, or by the hr? I can see running into problems paying a lump sum if we had a huge storm and they put in 12 hrs in a day. They would not be making much money then.
  5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

expect the best? pay'em well; they"ll be back and even asking for more!