1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wages for my Equipment Operators

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TrafficControl, Mar 19, 2010.

1. TrafficControl

TrafficControl Junior Member
    from NEPA

How much do you think is a fair hourly wage for your equipment operators: skid loader, front end loader, plow truck drivers?

If it helps, we are located in NEPA. Not in a major city.

Thanks in advance!

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Oh boy....that's a loaded question.

How big are the loaders? How big are the pushers?

What type of plow truck(s) and plows?

How much snow does your area get?

Are looking for a sub, or are you looking to be a sub?

3. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I remember TCLA saying anywhere from $9 to $ 14.50/hour, providing you have 10 years of phenomenal experience! :cool:

4. TrafficControl

from NEPA

We are a sub, and we do one massive commercial property in an area that totaled 71" of snow this year with major drifting at our site.

I am just looking for a range of wages that someone would expect for pushing.

Thanks.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Hey now.....just because I married a Pollock doesn't mean I am one. :laughing:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You PAY guys to run those toys?

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm afraid I won't be much help to you......I don't like to be open with numbers. Plus your area will bring different wages than the Detoilet area.

Experience, number of pieces, hourly or a per push deal, or even a seasonal agreement would need to be negotiated with whoever you team up with.

Someone might come along and throw some numbers out there for you.

Good luck to you sir!

8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Crap...Somebodys making $9 an hour....All he offerd me was $7.35 an hour and atta boy when i showed up.....

9. TrafficControl

from NEPA

I am just looking for some basic numbers.

Just simply, what is a fair range of wages like between XX.XX and XX.XX per hour..

I am the general manager of our company, and our owner is very charitable with his wages, and I think we are overpaying. I just need some examples so I can better conclude what is fair for both us the company, and our workers. THANKS!

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

somewhere between $15 and $60 depending on experience and what they are operating
    What do you charge for each piece of equipent hourly???

11. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

$60 an hour for an operator? Holy Sh!T.

We pay our equipment operators anywhere between $25-$35, most in the low $30 range.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

wages

Are we talkin just wages per man? or are we talkin what should I charge the account for this service ....per hour.

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Up my way an experienced operator at best will make low 20's on a machine charged out in the 100-150 range....plow truck drivers get 10$ an hour...

14. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

wages

I do all my own plowing. I earn about $12. a month! I do pay $20./hour to my shoveler.

15. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Maybe I'm getting too old and loosing my ability to read.

$25.00 +/-

16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you ever think that there just might be a Polish member here who would take offense to that?I'll swallow a nice pill and leave it at that--for now.

17. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I pay all my guys $15 an hour. We are in a small city and that is a good wage here. I feed them as many hours as I can.

18. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

did i read 20 dollars per hour for a shoveler? are you crazy?

19. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

No way would I even answer the phone for that amount. $14 per hour to run an end loader? Are you kidding? I pay my laborers in the summer more than that. IF you want someone with experience that knows the machine and knows how to operate it the right way, then your lookikng at a minimum of $20 and up to $40 per hour. I would say right in between there ($30) is a good number

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

This is a good example of demographics at work... whats good in one part of the country isn't good in another..... operators in my next of the can make between 15-25 per hour... thats the going rate... now if you own your own loader with pusher the going rate is 100-150 per hour... I'm not telling you what my rates are payup but these are the rates in my area. Others WILL BE DIFFERENT.

And on a side note, if you feel like the contractor is too expensive, ask yourself these questions... does he show up on time (are you up at 2 am working)? any slip and fall claims (good contractors know the value of good service, good service ususally means no slip and fall claims) ? does he take care of his equipment (this equipment is expensive! Its expensive to buy, MAINTAIN, and run them)? If you have no complaints about them, then sometimes its worth it to pay more to worry less..... just food for thought!