1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Glenn Lawn Care, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I'm new to plowing commerical lot and recieved a email from my client saying they want me to fill out a w9. Do all commercial clients do this? I'm not on his payroll I'm providing him a service. I've also never heard of any contractor filling out a w9 unless it is for sub work.
  2. AugustArborists

AugustArborists Member
    from Wyoming

All of my commercial accounts want a W-9, standard here.
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

That is standard procedure for a business that will be paying you for work. It is a form used in a way to obtain your social or EIN# that will allow them to report money paid to you by them to the government in order for them to receive a tax credit for the money they spent on maintenance. In other words you will have to claim the money you are getting paid from this account to the gov.
  4. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

A W-9 is simply a legal documentation of your EIN or SSN for the purposes described above, as opposed to the various risks taken by verbally giving said number over the phone. :rolleyes:

I just fill one out and scan it into my computer, then email it to whoever needs it. Easier than filling one out for every account.
  5. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Alright I get it now! Thanks
  6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I always get some emails and calls from some of my commercial customers in december - so they can send me a 1099,
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

If you are paid out over 600 bucks a season from another commercial entity, then you are required to fill out a W-9.

It's just the government keeping track of who is paying who so they make sure they get their taxes. So ultimately if a sub tries not to claim the money, they have a payment record to drop the hammer.