1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

w/b salt spreaders...im a newbie

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawnboy89, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Lawnboy89

Lawnboy89 Member
    from CT

Hey guys..I'm just getting into plowing this year I have about 15 residential accounts and 1 commercial building account, pretty good size parking lot. I'm looking at these two salt spreaders, I'm wondering what the difference is between a salt spreader and a regular fertilizer spreader. It seems the salt spreaders have some gaurd type device?

Here are the two I looked at..

Let me know what you guys think, I have no experience with this..thanks in advance
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

the salt spreader is all stain less in components and holds up better to with the salt application. I would go with the salt dogg. that is there business. I have used agriculture heavy duty spreaders before and come spring they are worthless. Rust and corrosion all over the place. Money down the drain.
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I got a $20 one from the local hardware store. I have only used it a couple times now, but it works good, and as long as it lasts the yr I will be happy. It paid for itself the first bag of salt through it, can't complain about that.
  4. Meadelz

Meadelz Junior Member

Just bought the new meyer hot shotHD spreader. Love it. Costs a pile of money but not a single component to rust on it. All poly and stainless steel.