1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VYU strobe wires run out of 3rd brake light

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Robo, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I recently got a new truck and a new strobe. I want to "semi permanently" install the strobe. NO holes in roof just a magnetic mount.

What are you guys using for plugs to run the wire out of the 3rd brake light??

2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

ROB.....On my 01 Chevy I got a 2 wire (female + end protected/male - end exposed) from the local auto store. Hooked up the other end to my magnetic beacon wires.

There are/were pics of a similar install thru the 3rd brake light somewhere around here. Will bring up if I find them...............geo

You will be looking for a heavy brown + and a heavy black- wire(s) that run bottom to top in the rear left B pillar for the beacon light.

Check out http://www.gmupfitter.com under publications pg. 27.....geo

3. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Just fished mine out yesterday had to drill one hole in the brace in the compartment were the 3rd brake light is. I still have not found what connector I am going to use.

4. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I did a search and tried to find the answer I was looking for but couldn't. If I knew where and what kind of a connector I could get that would be great. If I have to I will run it out of the passenger door same as you sonjaab.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The connector that I like is made by Packard Electric called the Weather Pack,has a great seal. You can get them in a 2 -4 conductors plug. They are not the cheapest one around but work well.

Regards Mike

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Run the wires out the rear cab vents. No holes necessary.

7. flykelley

TLS I did the same thing out the vent and band tied them to my back rack. Works great and easy to do.

Regards Mike

8. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Thought the newer trucks did away with the cab vents??

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

ROB........The vents are located in the lower back of the cab..... one on each side between the bed and box..............

10. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Flykelley thanks for the info. I saw those were use all over my truck I thought they were a dealer part. The price is not bad but the tool price is the only thing holding me up. I am going to talk to some friends to see if they have access to one. The tool would probably be nice to have but no snow no spending $$$$ and uncle sam is just around the corner.

11. flykelley

I did not buy the tool, I bent the tabs over with a pair of needle nose pliers,and then soldered them to the barrel. Slip them into the housing and you are all done. It took about 5 Min's for the whole deal. If you can't find any let me now and I will get you the phone number that I buy from in Royal Oak MI.
    I just tested mine out, I added to strobe heads to the back of my spreader. I was rear ended sitting at a red light the 2nd snow of the year. I hope they can see me now.

Regards Mike

Regards Mike