1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vxt wing extensions question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I was reading peoples posts on the wing extensions and trying to figure out why some people say theirs fall off, vibrate off and break and have to bolt or weld them on permanent and others say theirs are perfect and never have a issue with them. Almost sounds like a installation issue or plowing abuse on them. Was wondering why there's so many different views on them working the way they're supposed to.
  2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I think it's entirely an installation issue. There should be a better means of installation, such as templates to take out the measuring & interpretation of the instructions, which can easily be misunderstood.

If I was a dealer or had to install multiple sets of wings, I would build my own jigs to make the job easier, thus rendering a more efficient & better install.

I did have an issue w/ my left wing not staying in place. After a careful examination, I realized the locking pin on the bottom rail was off about a quarter inch from the factory...when compared to the other side. I ended up adding a quarter inch steel shim that I made & installed it between the bracket and plow rib where it bolts through, which took out the slack.

I don't understand why anyone would have to bolt them on unless it was just a really sloppy install. I can't drive on the roads with mine on, so a permanent mount would never be an option. Welding them on sounds crazy.

As far as breakage goes...I would have to say no more than any other part of the plow, assuming they're installed well & not being abused or have been subjected to negligence. I have clipped some curbs pretty good & even some frozen piles. No issues at all so far...they are very rigid & in my opinion... very well designed. I enjoy having them.

My recommendation for anyone doing their own install is to clamp everything in place first before drilling. Don't be in a rush & visually align and adjust as needed, focusing on getting the joint closed up tight as possible so it looks like a smooth transition from blade to wing.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I'm having the dealer put on a set in the next few days and I hope they don't mess it up. They've messed up a few things in the past on mine that I've had to deal with. I just think they try to get things done to fast and some people there think things are good enough. Good enough for them isn't the same as perfect for me
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Its a older vxt without the holes so they have to drill them. And my cutting blades are still good but a few years old.the dealer said they can adjust them to fit on
  6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

looking for the wings , but out of stock in canada
  7. JamesSp

JamesSp Banned
    from Indiana

The boss wings are junk. And I'm a huge BOSS fan. It's one of very few things they shouldn't be proud of.
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have run BOSS Wings for three years now with No problems. They need to be installed correctly and the instructions are not to good. But if done right they work with no problems. Go on and off in a snap. :laughing:

What problems were you having? :eek: