1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Vxt wing ext!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CSLC, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

Ok, so I have a 1 yr old Boss 8'2 VXT that I got wings for. Just wondering if anybody else had to bolt theirs to the wing of the plow because the spring locks do not hold the wing extensions to the plow.:mechanic:

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Sounds like an installation issue. I have 2 sets of boss wings on different plows and never bolted them.

3. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I will try to get pics soon

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I had to cut a steel shim for one side for the same reason, then it was all good. The locking pin on the bottom rail wasn't set at the correct distance from the manufacturer. I've seen some installs w/ big gaps between the two...I just kept adjusting mine w/ clamps until I got the best fit, then I marked & drilled.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i know what you mean... when you put the spring clips in the "lock" our outward position to pin the wing to the plow, they fall off? or when you plow, vibrate or just lower it down fast?

We just drillled i think 5/16" holes, little ones, just large enough for a cotter pin... you may need to adjust the other side on the plow area, so the spring can push the bolt head further outward into the wing by about an inch to get enough room to slide the cotter pin in.

We have not used the vxt this year after nov 7th "when our 8'2 v xt steel" kept falling off every 10 seconds on me.. not sure how it was used last year or the guys just took it off and i didnt realize it.

this plow was also hit so its got the slighted odd bend in the edge that could throw off our wing alightment from perfect... take a few pics and email me, and ill email you back how we modified ours. ttyl ramairfreak98ss@hotmail.com

6. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

We had to bolt ours on. After a few years of use I had trouble keeping the wings tight so I just bolted them up. That was over 2 seasons ago and we haven't ever looked back. I did double nut them from the start.

7. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

One more thing. If you have to much space between the wing and the mold board, you could weld a nut right over the hole were the pin goes (mold board mount). If you don't have enough room for a nut, get a jam nut (skinner nut) and use it. Should give you at least another 1/8 or 3/16" to catch that pin.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I seen guys add a chunk of rubber from the wing to the cutting edge to keep the snow from falling out between the moldboard and the wing

9. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

we have 2 sets bolted on and 3 sets not bolted i drilled an extra hole and zip tyed the latches down no problems with them they do break the zip ties sometimes so theres lots of stress there

10. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

bb45 can u take some pics for me? I cant seem to get my cutting edges to align right

11. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

wings

sorry cslc been busy here did get some pics finely now the camera wont talk to the computer gettin 30 to 50 cm that's 12 to 20 inches for you yanks starting tonight so it may be a bit before i get them on here but i will got some good pics of broken boss's too broke 4 last storm most of our's are between 3 and 5 years old starting to break a frames/lower hinges and one center section

12. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I had a set of wings put on my vxt from the dealer the other day. The spring pin when locked in sits flush with the outside of the wing bracket as its supposed to. When driving between jobs there was some snow chunks in the road & I went through them and one was hard as hell. It hit the wing extension with enough force it popped it loose from the spring. I Pulled over and pushed it forward & it locked in and was fine since. I called a boss tech rep and he said they designed then that way that if the wings hit something hard it will give and break loose so you don't destroy the wing. If guys bolt them chances are it will. Under normal plowing conditions it won't happen. It worked great so far when I was plowing though. When I hit that snow chunk at 40 mph it shook the hole truck so I can see it was more than typical what the wing extension would normally see and then it released itself. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

13. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

the only damage we have done to the bolted wings so far is has been caused by dumpster relocation that said i do agree that they need to have some give cheers BB

14. bb45

bb45 Member
    from waverly

pics

finnally got the pics out of the camera

DSC01730.JPG

DSC01731.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

DSC01735.JPG

DSC01734.JPG

15. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Twice last night while i was back dragging snow i had a boss plow wing come lose from the spring loaded retention pin. I have had the wings for a year and a half and no problems until last night. Seems like the pin needs to be longer. I was thinking of adding a clamp to the wing to keep the pin in the hole. I am pretty worried that the wing will come lose while driving.

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I wish them pins were longer also. They sit a little longer than flush. My drivers one popped loose but there's enough friction that it doesn't swing. I noticed it and snapped it back in and its been fine since. A boss tech rep told me there designed like that so a heavy impact would jar it loose and not harm it.