1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VXT Smart hitch

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mr. Mud, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Here's a new one for me. 8'2" VXT, new install. Plow really performs flawlessly. Removing plow from truck, float down(red light on), using smart hitch on tower, pump runs, only moves down about 1/4 inch at a time. Have to keep turning tower switch off then on and it will drop 1/4" to get it to drop enough and release finally. Goes back on perfectly, absolutely no hiccups reattaching to truck. I have taken it completely off and disconnected wires, backed up, and then pulled forward and reattached everything and it goes up just fine. Anyone have an idea?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How worn are your cutting edges?

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Toggle the tower switch up before down on removal...?

4. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

This plow was just installed. Cutting edges are brand new, maybe 6 hr's plow time.
    I always toggle the tower switch up before going down so the pins will retract out of locking holes.

5. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Any more ideas from the group???????????????

6. grandview

Take it back and tell them what's happening?

7. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Installed myself. Don't think I'm going to get any dealer support.
    Just been thinking though, in the directions when putting plow together it says not to push the tower backward or forward when hooking up. I don't believe that I did this, but why do the directions say that?

8. grandview

Pushes the fluid out ,But you can do it in an emergency

Are the hooks on the plow getting stuck in the push beams?

9. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I'll get it in the shop and look to see if it is the hooks, but why would it drop 1/4" each time you push the button? I guess I could release it from the truck 100% with just the wiring connected and see if it still does it that should prove/disprove this thought.

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Your nearest BOSS dealer would hopefully be happy to look at the issue for you? In there eyes your a future parts customer/ future plow customer.

11. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Doubt it! That's why I had to go buy from an outside vendor. Poor workmanship and over priced! Didn't really want to go 75 miles to the big dealer around here if I didn't have to.
    Anyway, I e-mailed the vendor I purchased this from and he has gotten back to me with an idea. Apparently if you adjust the speed of the plow drop on the back of your tower this also affects the pressure that the pump puts out on the switch, so I will check that later tonight.

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

75 miles is quite a ways away from you. I had to adjust the plow drop speed on mine right after it was installed. I didn't like it dropping like a rock!

13. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Well men it seems that the problem is fixed. Apparently when I was adjusting the plow down speed I went too far counter clockwise trying to speed it up and this somehow affects the pressure that the pump produces to unmounts. At least that's what the Boss tech guy said and it seems to work now. Thanks for all the thoughts trying to solve the issue!