1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vxt question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I've got a 8'2 steel vxt. When I push into a pile and am backing up I usually drop the blade alittle to shake off the snow and see better. When it comes down there's no weight problem. I had wings dealer installed the other night and they work great. When they're on and I back out of the pile and lowered the plow alittle the weight of the plow bounced down and back up almost like it was tripping or bouncing back up from the springs. Is doing this ok with the extra wing weight or does it add extra stress to the frame or somewhere and cause something to break down the road?
    I saw pictures on a thread of a guys Boss A frame break 3 times and didn't think that could happen so I'm wondering about the stress of the bouncing of my wing weight when lowering it down alittle.

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

When I have my wings on or I have snow sticking on the plow, I usually retract the wings at least half way, so the added weight doesn't bounce the front end. It's sort of top heavy w/ the wings fully extended, if you pull them back you balance out the weight more evenly. I only do it while I'm driving in reverse away from the pile, so as to not wear down my batteries from over usage.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I always just retract the wings just a bit. It knocks the snow off. And your not bouncing the blade. Last thing you want is a broken frame out plowing.

4. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I usually bring them back to at least straight but I think it was after I dropped it down alittle and then it bounced. I'll try that next time I'm out. Do you think excessive bouncing would eventually cause a crack in the A frame? I don't know where the stress would be distributed to.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You are liable to break something. Everything wears out eventuality. When I go up in scoop and back out of the pile is when I bring them back. If the blade is straight and I go into a pile then I usually don't worry about it. You could always coat the blade in fluid film so the snow doesn't stick.

6. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea, I'll try it next time I'm out. I just like to have it lower so I can see better when backing up and ready for my next push. I might have to change my technique just to keep the stress off it.

7. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Over time all metal will wear out eventually from metal fatigue. It will help the truck front end, and the plow springs, ect. to only be in the scoop position when pushing and stacking.

8. Snown13

Snown13 Junior Member

I agree. I usually do not use up or down to knock off snow. When plow is straight, button combo left then right in very quick intervals cleans of the moldboard pretty well.