1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VXT - motor runs but right wing wont extend

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi guys,

I was just out doing some cleanups and suddenly, the right wing won't extend. Worked fine, you know, right up until it didn't. Motor runs - I don't notice any difference in the sound.. I checked the connections and everything looks fine, there's no fluid anywhere. When I picked up the plow again and tried to extend the wing, it was raised just slightly, and pressing the button forward drops the wing to the end of it's travel and then it does nothing. Any ideas? Really appreciate the help. Thanks!

2. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Did some further searching and will check the cleanliness of my connections in the AM. No snow that I don't expect to be able drive through in the forcast for tonight, so I'll take a look when it's light out. I will also troubleshoot around the controller. Any other suggestions, I'm all ears (eyes).

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So when you attempted to extend the wing, it instead retracted John?

4. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi Mike - thanks so much for jumping in here.

Yes, it retracted. Although, for some reason I got the sense it was just releasing it. Now that I think about it, I guess that's basically the same thing. But since this happened, the first time I raise the plow after attaching it, there are a couple of inches of drop that I get the first time I try to extend. Pretty sure nothing is backwards, as it started doing this mid session... I had just cut a snowbank from the right, having the wing extended, and it was working perfectly. Pushed the pile, backed up, retracted both wings to v, pushed through a small pile of some old rotten snow, backed up again, and the wing wouldn't extend.

:help:

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

It occurred to me that I might have the 13-pin connector gunked up to the point that the connection is failing... Not sure if that'd be a likely scenario, but I had a look at the plow side connections behind the cover and they all look real good. The 13-pin connection is a mess. What would I use to clean it (both sides as I'm sure I've got some crap in the female side as well) and can I just spread a bunch of dielectric grease in there after cleaning and give it a go?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the 13 pin plug isn't sparkling clean then you want to address that first. See here for some details on that. Also be sure there are no broken pins. Count each one in the plow side connector to be sure they're all in there.

If you find it doesn't fix it then hot wire the wing without the controller to see if it's a control issue. Details on how to do that can be found here.

7. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thanks Mike - I'm on my way to clean the 13-pin now... I'm pretty sure those pins are in good shape - I've been being real careful since I noticed the potential for breaking one. If one is broken, I have a replacement pigtail... I'll try the jumper if that doesn't work.

8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

So, I cleaned the connection... it needed it. Did not solve the problem unfortunately...

It occurred to me to mention - when I press the controller to extend the wing, it sounds exactly like when you press the button to extend the wing, but the wing is already at full extension... Is the controller really a possibility? Just asking because it'll be a couple of hours until I can test it and it's gonna be cold out... lol... thanks guys.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do the controller bypass test John. Simply warm the truck up and close the door first. Nice and toasty then. :D

10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

On my way to test... Thanks Mike.

11. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Well, unfortunately, no love... That was an interesting excersize though and I've taken your suggestion of leaving the jumper and instructions with the plow. Was able to raise and lower it, move the left wing, the right wing doesn't move.

Currently, I have the spring off the right side and have rachet-strapped the plow into the scoop position - I'll take it down to the dealer in the AM and have them look at it, unless you have any other suggestions...

Mike, I really appreciate the help.

John

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You've come this far why bow to the dealer now? :D

Next quick step is checking the right wing extended coil for magnetism while a helper presses the control function. It's the only one on the valve manifold with a solid red wire. Easy enough to check and while you're there it's easy enough to check the two wire connections at the coil too. May be just a loose wire there.

If there's mag at the coil then it's likely a stuck or plugged valve. Not too difficult to remove it for inspection if you're up to it.

The dealer will do all these very same checks and in this order as well, so why not familiarize yourself with it? May just save you some downtime later by having the capability to diagnosis it yourself. The Boss hydro's are one of the easiest and simplest to troubleshoot out of most brands out there so don't be intimidated by them. :drinkup:

13. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Sounds like a bad cartridge valve or solenoid on the valve.

14. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I'd actually really like to do that, but I'm a bit stuck as I need this to be fixed, have to be up for work at 5. Left early to look into this today and can't do that again tomorrow. And with the likelyhood of needing a part that I'd rather not wait to have shipped, I figure I'm just putting off going down there anyway. If you have documentation like what you provided for everything else you've taught me about this plow, I'd sure like to see it though! I probably won't use it today, but I know I will eventually. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help... Without the info I get from you and the rest of the plowsite gang, I'd be a whole lot worse off.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well a time constraint can certainly put a dampener on it. So if it's necessary by all means head for the dealer. But we'll still give you some additional tech training that you may find helpful in the future. Let me dig up a few things and I'll send them your way. :waving:

16. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Well, the plow is on it's way back from the dealer... They had it for an hour, and have said it was a loose wire... I haven't spoken to the guy, so I'm not sure exactly what was done... Seems sort of strange to me, but whatever. My wife has confirmed that the wing functions normally again and it wasn't expensive - they hit me for 1/2 hour of labor ($40), and they fixed the snow flap again while it was down there. Next time, I'll have to hold up the tower and get a better look I guess... Sort of pisses me off that I didn't notice it.

Anyway - thank you again very much for all the help. Till next time!

17. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

At least it did not cost you more. Glad you got it working

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Would have been an easy fix for you John. Good to hear you're all ready to go. :drinkup:

19. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Yeah, thanks for rubbing it in... :salute:

:D

When I looked at the connections, I had pulled the white wire out fiddling with the cover. I replaced it - apparently, the red wire was loose as well - not disconnected completely, but not connected either. As that happened independent of me screwing around in there, I'd have to guess it'll probably come loose again at some point. I'll take a look over the weekend and see if I can figure out what happened. There's a lesson to be learned in there somehwere.... :dizzy:

Mike, Lawns, thanks a lot for your help.