1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VXT / DXT 9.2 or 8.2 with wings?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lashom35, Sep 13, 2015.

1. lashom35

lashom35 Junior Member

We are going to buy a new plow this season and I'm looking for suggestions on size. I'm looking at either VXT or DXT but debating on running 8.2 with wings or the 9.2 with out. We currently run 8.2 flat top V's with wings? I'm worried about loss of productivity running the 9.2.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Read up on wings and dxts. The stainless ones are not recommended due to weight.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm running a 8.2DXT w/Wings and it's very efficient. The dual trip is extremely smooth and I wouldn't want a V without it.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I run a 9.2 dxt with wings and love it. Out of your choices I would rather have an 8.2 with wings than a 9.2 without. With the dxt I see no reason to buy the vxt.

5. lashom35

lashom35 Junior Member

What kind of trucks are you using with 8.2 DXT/wings?

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ford F-350..

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

An 8'-2" with wings gives you more versatility than a 9'-2" without.

8. lashom35

lashom35 Junior Member

My debate is over the weight of running DXT 8.2 with wings or just stepping down to a 9.2 DXT.

2500 Chevy dmax CC/SB. I'm going to be over 1000lbs with DXT 8.2 with wings.

Anybody running this setup with chevy 2500 dmax?

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Not me personally, but I run a 1,000 lb plow as well, and without problems. There are plenty of guys on here running your set-up. Turn up your torsion keys, possibly install timbrens and go to it.

10. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Just bought a new 8.2 VXT myself. The majority of my work that I plow are small commercial lots as well as a couple neighborhoods.
    The 9.2 wouldn't give me much of an advantage on my properties. The DXT is nice if you're plowing at high speed but the extra weight isn't worth it if you're doing smaller/slower properties.
    I've never gotten my head around the wings movement. If you need the bigger plow then buy it. Drive-thrus are the only area that you really "need" a smaller plow.
    I ran my 2006 for two seasons, including Summers with the torsion bars cranked up. I'm lucky that it never snapped on me.

Michael

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A plow with wings will out perform one without hands down. In scoop the wings will hold far more snow. When windrowing the leading wing will be straight forward and contain runoff. If I have a larger area to do I will remove the trailing wing because it will hold snow at full angle.

We run 2 western mvp plus with wings on duramax's.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If you decide to go with a 9.2 you'll need to run the moldboards a little forward from V position when running down the road and to enter/exit property's otherwise the moldboards will hit the ground.