1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vxt and stacking snow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I just purchased a power vxt and used it the other night. I noticed that when I'm plowing into a snowbank it doesn't lift up automatically to stack the snow like some other brands. When you guys stack snow with a v do you hit the up button alittle or raise it all the way when you hit the bank?
    Also if the previous snowbank is frozen can you still stack the snow up it or just pack against it? Thanks.

2. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

i have an 8'2 v and when i drive into a pile, right before i hit it I raise it up a little bit to get it started and it generally shoves itself up the rest of the way. Or sometimes I try and control how far it does go up

3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I'll try that on the next snow.

4. camconcrete

oh yea, I wouldn't try stacking against a frozen pile, I got my brain rattled last winter trying that. It just ain't worth it

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

That makes sense, I cleaned up some piles last night and raised the plow as I was going into it and it pushed it up higher. Thanks for the advice. I also read that in a right angle you could push the two left angle buttons fast and it would swing into it but mine didn't do it. I had to hold it down.

6. camconcrete

i have never tried that, I usually just dive into the pile in scoop, then as I climb into the pile I flatten the blade out to straight. That seems to work for me

7. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I didn't notice last season ~ only had one event that had enough snow to need stacking ~ but this past weekend I noticed this happening as soon as I started stacking. The scoop seems to dig down instead of rising up.

I try to bring up the scoop little by little, and it seems to do better. Pretty easy to get it to lift all the way up, though, then you have to back up and make another run to clean up what it dropped.

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

When you clean up what dropped down the pile do you still keep it in scoop or do you straighten out the blades?

9. camconcrete

I generally use the scoop unless I am trying to push a pile high into the air. It usually works better containing the snow

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Leave your wings in scoop mode and as soon as you touch the pile raise your blade as high as it will go and gently pile the snow with out ramming.

11. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

Yes.

I usually leave it in the scoop, but have straightened it once in a while, because it seemed that would do the better job.

12. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

you try stacking with blade in float mode it will go up some itself but its better to learn to time it and raise it yourself. when i roll into a bank depending on how hard it is i will raise it as i go into it and usually raise it all the way up. you can stack against a frozen pile just got to use your head, dont go cranking into it, ease into the pile and lift snow, practice practice practice.

13. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I agree stack it "manually", but my new V will raise automatically if I hit the up button twice.

I wish it would do that in the float.

14. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

It should. tap the down button twice and it should go into float and turn red.

15. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Go to straight position at about 4' out from pile, and then start raising plow to stack snow. Stacking snow in the scoop position puts a lot of stress on your frame...

16. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

It worked good when I raised it up while driving into it. It hasn't snowed here for awhile so I could stack it again and see which seemed to work best.