1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vxt 9.2 keeps breaking

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by babala65, Feb 6, 2015.

1. babala65

babala65 Junior Member

not sure if other vxt owners are having problems with breaking the lower hinge points. I've had my plow apart 5 4 times for welding the broken
    Lower hinge area on right and left wing. and recently broke the big v part that holds both wings together.
    welding the same area. I have several good pictures if I can figure out how to load them. I also have a very good fabricator that is also stunned at how easily this plow breaks.I do all commercial plowing and will run the truck for over 20 hours at a time. it seems like after every 30 hours of plowing I have to take the plow parts to fix it.

2. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yeah I had the lower left hinge break last winter, had it welded up & then noticed last week the weld broke again and the paint came off

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Your talking the hing hing, in the front center where the 1" pin drops down thru? That area breaks when you hit things...

4. babala65

babala65 Junior Member

sorry let me clear that up 4 to 5 times in the last two years.I'm assuming it keeps breaking because in the V position it really can't trip like it should. bad design in my opinion I've replaced 3 vertical pins 2 bent and 1 broke at the very bottom where the welds keeps breaking. we actually are Gussin it up now and I have to go buy a new pin today. I love the plow but I'm tired of working on it every time I put 30 hrs on it.

5. babala65

babala65 Junior Member

yes that is correct that's the area I'm talking about my broke both sides several time.

6. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

I believe that you should not be plowing in vee with the blade in float. You should lift it up a bit just to break open the area you need to do then change configuration.

I think people break the hinge by hitting things when in vee position.

I could be way wrong.

7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We have one plow that is "trashed" from hitting manhole covers on this road we plow. Ours, when the hinge breaks it almost seems like pressure applied at the blade tip causes the blade to twist and the hinge area to be forced forward - tearing the hinges. I've "fixed" it a few times, really fixed it once and it kept breaking - well, we kept on banging away at the manhole covers.

The last fix, I stripped it down, cut half the hing and flat plate out, cut half the cutting edge support out - spliced new material back in while straightening everything up - one side was forward 2", the other 1". A day and a half worth of work otherwise it was two new wings at 1200 each. We also don't use that plow on those roads anymore and it seems to be holding up.

We bought a DXT for out in that area and hopefully that will solve the problems.

8. babala65

babala65 Junior Member

thanks for the tips and information. I definitely won't have it on float over unknown areas.