1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VX95 To wide for Michigan Motor Carrier Officer

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by AOS, Feb 13, 2012.

1. AOS

AOS Junior Member

Michigan Motor Carrier Officer Barry Archer Ticketed me for over width, The Blade in the V positiont measures over 9' . Just wanted to let people know be careful. Michigan Law 102"
    Class A road and 96" Class B . Its to bad its a brand new blade , I used it just enough to call it used 4 plowings I guess I'll be taking a Saw to it or buying new shorter VX85 wings for 2 grand?. Ouch!!!

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Man, michigan gets all of us. its horse ****. we're broke as a state they say but every state cop is driving a new charger decked out with 5k in leds. and they write out tickets about everything. Leave the workin man alone unless you were all over the damn road putting people in the ditch... sorry done venting.

3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

How wide is it in a V position?

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Just get a wide load permit for the year

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly. Not sure about Michigan, but in MN they're easy to get for the season for plow trucks.

6. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

99" (just over the class "B" road maximum)

7. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Archer is the biggest :realmad: around! avoid him anyway you can! Hopefully he didnt ride you to hard for any other infractions. Im just glad he is out of our area!

8. djagusch

from mn

I wonder if a guy could shorten the metal stops for the wings to get that 3"s. As long as the rams have travel and clearance to the truck I don't see why not.

9. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

the mighty pen

Funny. the 96" reg has been effective for years for class B roads..
    But a guy with a 102" wide car hauler trailer gets by without any problem.

Just measured my dodge 3500 and it is wider than the V. Good thing I'm not in Michigan or I'd have to permit out just to drive daily.

Its a joke, isn't it.

10. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Good grief!!! All of our flat beds here at work are all 102 to the rub rail and we are running around 16-18 trucks down every road imaginable and some that I use the term road very loosley with out an issue. Who did you piss off to get picked on by the DOT??

11. AOS

AOS Junior Member

No permits

No permits available from State of Michigan , County or City of Adrian. They said the blade can be removed and hauled on a trailer to the site. law stands at 96" Max. on Class B . Michigan laws will be inforced...My VX95 ( with top snow deflector trimed off) Angled 104" V position 107" , Scoop 102" . Not sure of 99" specification in literature? Wouldn't matter anyway on class B.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Drive with it in scoop. You could remove the wing stops and I'd think you would be able to gain those 3" but at the expense of possibly doing damage to the plow.

13. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

work it backwards through your legislature

Contact and petition your state legislature representative to change the law. They might ignore you, but not if they get enough petitions.

A highway tractor trailer rig can run 102" on a highway or making a delivery. Snow plow operators should/could have a seasonal exemption.

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

This is another case of They dont have a Clue......:dizzy:

You CAN buy a Permit per County....Its a $110 Dollars per county Permit

15. AOS

AOS Junior Member

Yes they have a permit

Yes In Lenawee county they have permits for over width on county roads . But not for this application. Lenawee county weight master will not issue a permit for over width blade on a pickup. He said it can be removed and hauled on a trailer.

16. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

gotta love Lenawee!

were you in town when he got you?

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Go back to your dealer & complain they should have warned you. Or keep your mouth **** about the ticket, tell them it is too much plow for your truck & need to trade in on next size smaller, I bet it will be cheaper to go that route than replacing the wings.

18. djagusch

from mn

There are ways to go above the weight master on this one for sure. One does it seem reasonable to trailer a plow and something to lift to off (aka skidsteer) when they allow this in other counties? Do they allow wider stuff on the road than the plow?

I would say a quick call to the county admin might get things going. Otherwise call the local TV station asking them to do a piece on how the county guy is a asshat adding to the cost of biz without reason.

Honestly this is about a asshat that is abusing his power.

19. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

The guy at the county I'm sure is one of the first to call and complain when his driveway hasnt been plowed too.