1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VX85 still having problems...

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by CornerStoneProp, Oct 14, 2011.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

A little update on this unit. I am really thinking I picked up a lemon as it is in the shop again for the same issues again. Not leaking this time, but still defective hydro parts. Lift cylinder had broken down and contaminated the whole system again. Again Buyers stepped up and is fixing under warranty, but the warranty is up this December. I am kinda hoping that the problems will be solved when they replace the whole power unit again for the 5Th time now. All electrical harnesses are also being replaced to fix some unknown issues with that as well. I had to disconnect the plow light harness to have any headlights at all. When this plow works, I can keep up with pretty much anyone. It scrapes well as well as it is very fast. I just think that having it down every other storm is a problem. I will think twice before buying the first run of anything from now on. Does anyone else have a hard time keeping bolts on their plows? I must have replaced almost all of them last year. Wish me luck this year, but if this keeps up the way it has been, I think this will be my last year plowing. Just not worth the hassle.:realmad:

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I'm actually scared to pull mine out and see if it works like it should. Last spring I brought it in for another upgrade "a shunt kit" or something like that, after they replaced the whole a frame assembly a couple months before. I agree when they work they are great, but it's the actually the "when" I'm worried about.

Cornerstone did you have the whole a frame assembly replaced also? Is that lift cylinder the one that is bad now?

3. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

While I can't say what is specifically wrong with YOUR plow - I do know that the cylinder issue has been the underlying cause of most of the VX hydraulic problems.

Before we had identified that issue a number of end users had power units replaced, systems flushed, etc. As you know, this was not the correct fix and resulted in the same problem re-appearing again (as the source of the contamination was the lift cylinder).

I'm glad to hear your dealer is working with you no questions asked - although I realize that doesn't really cut it. While we can continue to improve and find and fix problems, that doesn't always mean a whole lot to the people are having the problems.

4. CornerStoneProp

The fact that you are here online in a public setting helps me alot. I only fear that I will continue to have faulty hydro issues past December 6 and then I will be out alot of money to fix the issue. You are right I have a great dealer to help me. and djagusch, yes the whole head unit was replaced last time I had problems. I just hope this is the end of my troubles. This has been in the shop for a week plus and still there...

5. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

Corner, with all of these issues I would kindly ask Buyers to extend the warranty on your plow, at least through this snow season if the unit has not been abused. I wish you the best of luck and am glad to hear your dealer is working with you. This also help Buyers keep a good product out there for us. Good luck!!!

6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Cornerstone I will be calling you tomorrow, I think we can help :)

7. CornerStoneProp

Thanks Jim!

8. CornerStoneProp

I can report that ESI has stepped up to the plate to solve my issues. I can say that ESI has world class customer service!

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Thank you, we appreciate it...look forward to seeing you

10. CornerStoneProp

I really need to get down to see you as I couldnt even get a full storm out of this one after a whole new headgear replacement again. Same problem where it looks to be contaminated again. I wish Buyers would change their suppliers for hydros...

11. bighornsudbury

bighornsudbury Junior Member

same hear

My warranty is up soon as well, multiple problems, spent more time in the shop then plowing, regret switching from a boss, the wiring caught fire, hydraulic problems, controller fried dealer said it was my fault, they put new one in and wiring caught fire, then at least they apologized for blaming me. I should have let the truck burn. To anyone thinking of buying the vplow dont. I lost thousands last season from having to sub contract because of down time.

12. djagusch

from mn

I got mine out last night. Everything worked, seemed slow going down though. Going to pull that valve and see if there is gunk like before. No gunk I will adjust it, if gunk then I will clean it and see how fast it comes back, then back to the dealer. I'm out of the 2 yr warranty but how buyers has backed their product pretty sure they will cover it.

13. CornerStoneProp

I have never had a problem with fires or wires at all. All my problems have been the same since day one. The hydro's only work for a couple hours and it gets all effed up again. The warranty issue was solved by ESI so I hope that this will be the end of my problems. If this continues past this season, I may change to a Fisher V. I really like the plow when it works, it just has been a problem for too long.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Cornerstone- can you go into the "signs" of these problems that lead to the breakdown of the system? My concern is that I want to be able to spot a tell tale sign of something starting to happen during the season before I set out to plow my accounts and have it completely leave me stranded - if this were to by chance happen to me.

I literally got my plow out of the boxes last night an assembled and am excited to use it, but have to say I'm a bit weary after reading your posts. Sure it could be a few plows with this problem and I really hope mine is flawless after waiting 4 years to purchase a new plow.

Thanks

15. djagusch

from mn

If yours is from this year they should have a new lift ram which was issue. Basicly if your wings start not functioning properly or it doesnt lower then the lift ram packing material is breaking down and gunking valves/filters/etc. Last dec or so they started using a different material so it shouldnt happen now. If i remeber right there is a code date stamped on the lift ram which is in a dealer tsb to now if it is good or not.

16. CornerStoneProp

The only sign of issues was a little slower than usual then it acts up. I think my problem may be solved now..

17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping mine is a brand new model and will check the lift ram tonight. I'm honestly not really that worried about it but still want to know what to look for "just in case".

I should be putting it to use tomorrow, we'll see!

18. ChiTahoe

ChiTahoe Senior Member

I hope it all goes well for you, buyers is wonderful when it comes to warranty. I can't wait to trade in my MD for a VMD on my rig!

19. Trosscam

Trosscam Junior Member

awesome dog!

20. bighornsudbury

bighornsudbury Junior Member

Happy to find out today they have extended my warranty another year, more warranty work scheduled, a shunt needs to be installed. Hopefully this starts me off to a better year