1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vx85 sloooooow

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by CornerStoneProp, Feb 11, 2014.

1. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I went to move my truck today and the plow is moving extremely slow. Going to change fluid any other ideas? It worked fine Sunday for a dusting...

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

How cold was it out?

3. CornerStoneProp

got it figured out it was the screeninside the tank was very plugged.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Good to know. I didn't even know there was a screen I'm there. I haven't cleaned mine and it's been 3 years

5. CornerStoneProp

Well its slow again... Couldn't even finish my route. Had to call in another truck. Why did it plug up again? Maybe the pump is on its way out... Any ideas? I used th right fluid not sure why this keeps happening.

6. djagusch

from mn

Packing material breaking down on a ram again? Is the screen gunked up with a metal type or rubber type material?

7. CornerStoneProp

When I take it apart again I will check... This is the new style I was under the impression that they fixed that.

8. djagusch

from mn

I'm typically think things should be caught in testing before going to market. But then again what do I know.

9. CornerStoneProp

The lift ram was very difficult to push back down and the inside of the screen was very plugged with black rubbery material. I am thinking the lift ram is on its way out not the pump. The magnet had some metal on it but I don't think the pump is bad. I pushed all the old fluid out of the rams and replaced with fresh fluid. I was then able to easily push the lift ram back down and it works fast again. Is there an aftermarket lift ram that will work better than the factory one? I am thinking just replace it and hopefully be done.

10. djagusch

from mn

I can't believe they haven't solved that issue yet. Terrible!

11. GabrielFarms

GabrielFarms Junior Member

I just went through the same thing on my ex80, it was the packing on the lift cylinder coming apart. I am getting very tired of constantly fixing a 2 1/2 year old plow.

12. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

My ex75 is slow going up. But I thought that's normal for Snow Dogg because I have known nothing else of my Snow Dogg.

13. plowguy43

Any company is going to have problems no matter what the brand. Just because his lift ram may be bad doesn't mean every snowdogg has the issue. Mine is 3 years old and no lift ram problems. It sucks this is happening to you but I also have friends who buy new Fisher XLS's every 2 years and continues to have quality control issues with each one.

14. djagusch

from mn

Pretty sure cornerstone had the orginal like me, then replace the whole a frame assemble with new hydrolics like me, then I think he replaced the plow with a new one. All 3 plows basically had the same packing material issue in a 4/5yr spand.

15. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

where is this screen. I just posted a thread about my plow dropping very slowly........ Thanks!

16. djagusch

from mn

Inside the resvoir tank is the pick up filter/screen. But most likely you will want to take the valve out and it will have a mesh screen clogged with rubber gunk.

17. plowguy43

That just seems odd. I guess all rams have the ability to do that but is odd that it's happening to you again after being replaced before. Then there's plows like mine that's not had the issue, granted it's the updated unit as well.

18. djagusch

from mn

I sold mine after the orings on the boss plugs from machining started cracking/blowing out. Rubber just was really brittle. Don't know what to say but something in the specs are not right.

19. CornerStoneProp

I did replace the ram yesterday and can tell you that the plow drops faster without making any adjustments. It is now much quiter to lift as it was making a groan sound on lift before the failure. I am sure this was my fault some how and do not blame a plow that sees it's fair share of commercial snow removal. I can now press the ram down with one hand when the controller is in float and no longer need to stand on it to remove the plow. It looks from what I can tell that the ring around the top of the ram is made of a different material than the old ram. This plow is just over the 2 year mark old so I think it was already the new design. Before this last couple storms, it was working without any failure at all. I did wait until the middle of this season to change fluid which I am sure did not help matters at all. It came down to lack of time and lazyness on my part. Also just an FYI I replaced the jack with a new one where they modified the design with gussets to strengthen the whole unit. Now if I can track down the metal covers for the power unit which went astray for some unknown reason, I will have this unit back 100%. It is snowing now so I will let everyone know how this worked out after the storm.

20. plowguy43

Interesting info - can you post a picture up of your new cylinder. I've never been able to easily push my lift piston down by hand, always had to twist the chains for leverage but as mentioned, never a problem with the hydraulic packs.

My metal covers also came off after my first plow, never put them back on and have been running it bare for the 3 years. Ice buildup over the wires and everything. I know I know....