1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

VX85 barely moves

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by TKO1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. TKO1

TKO1 Member

My VX85 has been great all year til now. Hydraulics seemed a little slow 2 pushes ago and got slower and slower on todays 12 hour push. I mean barely moving. Someone said water in the system is the culprit. Any ideas?

2. 04ram1500

04ram1500 Member

3. npi9181

npi9181 Member

I would get it to your dealer right away have them call buyers about the issue
    it should be a simple thing

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Freezing could be the issue. Have you added any fluid to it? Dissimilar fluids will create a gel that clogs the pick up filters. If it is under warranty take it to the dealer.

5. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Had the same thing happen to the Fisher MM1 at work. Parked it in the heated shop overnight, and it work fine the next morning. Changed to fluid a couple of times, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

6. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

Having the same problem started with slow right wing now wing out on both sides is very slow. Wing back works fine... I hope this gets fixed off to the dealer again as it is still a warranty item...

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Next time drain and fill it with Meyer hydra-flush to clean it and cycle a few times then drain, before refilling with fluid. Will clean it and help absorb the water

8. Robmac

Robmac Junior Member

Barley moves

This is my second year with a MD75 and I had the same thing happen to me last night. I was plowing away and then all of a sudden the hydraulics became so slow it was almost non usable. I pressed on and after maybe 5 min or so it started working normally. I haven't seen any fluid leaks as of yet so I don't think it was a fluid level issue. Is this something I need to go to the dealer about before the warranty is up? What do you guys think.
    Thanks

9. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get some.

10. gtree

gtree Junior Member

Mine did the same earlier this year. Snowdogg put out a bulletin regarding the 2" lift cylinder. Its packing is disintegrating and plugging up the screen in the tank. The dealer should replace the lift cylinder, clean the screen, and flush the lines. I also found that you should have them clean the small screens on the valves... especially the two next to the motor. I have used mine about 30 hours since, and no slowing yet; just a pesky leaking valve.

11. TKO1

TKO1 Member

I took my plow to the dealer and they said there were 6 bad valves. Buyers apparently sent out a bulletin last week addressing this problem. Had to leave the plow there til Monday as they were expecting the parts later today, and said about 4 hours for repairs, and I was second in line. I sure hope that it dont snow before Monday night. My backup truck is not to much fun.. I will post again after repairs are done. Thankfully, its still under warranty.

12. zoop

zoop Junior Member
    from DETROIT

You have a bad S2A and S3A valve. I had the same problems and replaced one of the valve now the other one is bad. This must a on going problem I see now. Call Buyer Tech department and tell them your problem. Thank God my plow is brand new and still under warranty but I still have to fix it and diagnosis it myself. Good luck!

13. CornerStoneProp

I contacted Buyers again and they tell me that "there are some bad lift cylinders out there" that the packing breaks down and contaminates the screen in the tank itself. I was told to take the valve with the purple wire out and check the screen for black crud..... Well it was there so I cleaned it with some break clean, put it back together and will wait on the dealer to take the whole thing apart and flush again. I don't understand why a company that uses the same supplier that has supplied bad parts in the past would stick with them.... This is getting to the point where I want to quit. Buyers has stood behind their product from day one, but it shouldn't have been a problem since day one. I can see a failure here or there given the circumstances the plow is used, but every storm is getting very old... At least it does not leak anymore...

14. TKO1

TKO1 Member

dealer said my repairs were done so i drove the hour to get it. when they hooked up to the truck it was still slow. the bench test was good before they hooked it up. they had replaced 6 valves and said they had to test them all to find the bad one. 4 hours later they pulled my truck out. Finally done. i testyed it in the lot before i left and all seemed well. drove the hour home and went to extend the right wing and it barely moved. WTF. I called them immediately and they said maybe one of the plugs vibrated loose on the way home and to check that. Come on. Really? Anyway, I have to go back for a third time for the same thing. Maybe they should just replace the whole pump assembly. Its getting tough to take. they are trying, but

15. CornerStoneProp

I contacted Buyers about this and it looks to be an issue with the lift cylinder. Mine is also having the issue which can be verified by following the purple wire to the valve and check the screen for "black soot". This is the packing on the lift cylinder breaking down and is an issue they know about. The only fix is to replace the defective lift cylinder again and clean the whole system out. The screen in the tank also needs to be cleaned. The whole system will need a flush and fresh fluid. Good luck and let me know how it works out as I can't be down for a couple days again so I will just limp along until this weather clears out.

16. TKO1

TKO1 Member

Alright. Its working like brand new again. Thats because it is brand new. Buyers came through in a big way. They replaced the entire power unit and lift cylinder. They couldnt figure out the old one so they replaced it with a new one that has all of the updated parts. I want to thank them for their part in this. Also would like to thank all involved at Cannon Truck Equipment in Shelby Twp. Mi. They went above and beyond to make this right. They felt bad for me and my situation and for having to make the 60 mile drive 3 different times to get this fixed. They said Buyers wanted to do something more for me for all of my troubles. When I left their shop, they gave me a new push spreader for FREE. They and Buyers have won me as a loyal customer for life. Thanks again to all involved

17. bigdaddy2

bigdaddy2 Junior Member

vx95 same thing

Hey,your not alone!My Vx-95 had the same symptoms.Found out the screen was plugged,then found out about the recall on the lift cylinder.Should have the parts installed on monday.Thank`s to Jeff and Digger at Spring Works for getting me going with no BS.

18. bigdaddy2

bigdaddy2 Junior Member

replaced packing vx -95

Hey,I guess Buyer`s ran out of lift cylinders so they sent a new packing for mine.Dealer installed it and clean both screens,working like new again.I`ve had a couple small issues with this plow,but i really like it.I also like how buyers and my dealer look right after the issues.I would buy another one for sure.Thumbs Up

19. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Okay, this conversation now has me wondering about mine. I have the HD75, but I think all the plows uses the same 2x6 lift cylinder. Has Buyer's said anything about manufacturing dates on the cylinder or the plows that would allows us to verify if we are potentially going to have the same issues? Rather figure this out while the sun is shining!

Bye the way, cylinder packings failing? Wtf, this is pre WWII technology. It's a stick in a can???

20. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

I contacted SnowDogg after leaving my last post, and withn 2 minutes they replied with an answer and their technical document laying out the dates codes that may be effected and the resolution to the problem (awesome customer service). The cylinder has a date code stamped on the side.
    DATE CODE IS PIN-STAMPED INTO THE SIDE AS "3008912 YEAR-MONTH-DAY"
    Any date codes earlier than 2010-06-30, could have this issue. If you contact customer service, they will send you the complete document.

I am in industrial sales and deal with pneumatic manufacturers all day every day, Buyer's customer service and tech support is AWESOME. Most manufacturers will handle these cases one by one and dance around not admitting a problem hoping people will just lay it off as normal wear and tear. These guys jumped right on it....Good job Buyer's!