1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vx relay wiring buzz, not working

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by djagusch, Dec 3, 2011.

1. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Went to hook up the 2009 VX on my 05 Chev 2500HD. When I plugged the multi pinned plug (non main power) I heard a buzz coming from the grille area where the relay's are mounted. Headlights did not switch over and the plow does not work.

Took apart the grille to get to the relays. Wiggled the relays and the buzz would change, but no change in headlights or plow.

Removed relays, connections looked good but scuffed them up, put dielectrical grease on them, reinstalled. Checked harness ground by loosening and tightening.

Now no buzz, but the headlights does not change over, plow does not work.

Controller does flash red 3 times when I hit right or left (center of each pad, not like a wing out button.

My plan is to go read the manual quick, test light the ground and pwr, then go to the store and buy 6 relays if all else fails.

Last time the plow was hooked up was 2 weeks ago and everything worked like it should.

Any input?

2. djagusch

from mn

Well the grounds test good. Have key on power. Relay's buzzing, local auto parts store couldn't find the relays in the book.

Any idea's?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Usually the buzzing relays is b/c of bad/no ground. Just had one yesterday dim lights, turned out to be bad ground on plow frame. not fimilar with snowdogg plows but it still kinda sounds like no ground. i'd recheck the grounds with meter and test light. see if you have "load" ground. hope it helps

4. djagusch

from mn

Just to follow up.

The 12volt key on pwr source was poor. The dimmer switch for the interior lights lowered voltage to make the controller lights dim. I changed the 12 volt source and everything works like it should. Also I replaced the dimmer switch as it had some dead spots on it.

5. dieselss

Good, how was it that the dimmer switch affected your plow lights tho?

6. djagusch

from mn

Good question as I didn't fully understand that. When I lowered the dimmer switch it would put it to the truck headlights and when I increased the dimmer to max it would switch to the plow side.

The key on 12 volt source is where I was creating issues for the plow function and corrected the headlights also. The main wiring harness and headlight harness only connect by 2 wires, a black ground and 12volt (red white I believe).

With the truck off right now the headlights switch over. I don't recall it working with the truck off. The dimmer switch may somehow affected that.

It works now that is what I know. What I learned is make sure your 12 volt key on is not affected by the headlights/dimmer switch.

7. dieselss

Hey it works and thats all that matters right :). Good to hear its up and running tho.