1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

vx 95 - controller won't turn on

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by neild, Jan 6, 2011.

1. neild

neild Junior Member

had no issues before taking plow off...put it on today because we have a foot of snow...got it hooked up and no power...fuse is fine...grounds look okay...one of the male ends of the controller connector is missing the metal bracket that wraps around it...could this be the culprit?

i need help...

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Double post

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

Double check your connection at the grill...if it's not tight, it won't light up.

Did you actually test the fused line for power? There is additional fuses under the hood at the ISO as well as inside the actual controller.

Is this a relatively new install? Double check all your connections under the hood.

4. neild

neild Junior Member

yeah, it's tight..but like i said...the two prongs have little metal clamps on them...it looks as though they would actually make the connection in the cylinder...one of the clamps is all torn up and in pieces...would that make the connection work...?

n

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

ahhh....yeah....I'm lost. Pictures are worth a thousand....scratch that, a million words lol. Are you speaking about a hose clamp....on an electrical connection? From what I'm gathering, yes, it would cause an issue.

6. neild

neild Junior Member

lol...okay yeah...on the grill connector the 'male' side is on the truck and 'female' side is on the plow...the two prongs on the male connector have those clamps...one is missing...lol...but i think you answered it last post...i'm lost too...hahah

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. RepoMan207

from Maine

scratch that...I thought ths was a Fisher XV not a SD VX.....sorry

9. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

It sounds like you're talking about the spring cage that surrounds one of the power pins. If that is missing you won't make contact or get power. The plow side harness needs to be replaced. Get a hold of your dealer and have them call me with any questions.

Those are on their pretty tight, so I'll want to see that harness back from your dealer so I can review it (to see if we can figure out what happened).

10. neild

neild Junior Member

those spring cages can't be ordered? they look relatively simple? a whole new harness has to be replaced because of that tiny little spring?? that doesn't make sense...

neil

11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

That's a fair question. It's only happened once before that I'm aware of - so it's never really come up. After I replied I was playing with this harness, and those springs do look like they'd be easy to install/replace.

PM me with your contact info and I can ship one out to you. We don't have them as a service part - but I can certainly get my hands on one. The problem is you won't have it until Monday.

If you want to bug your dealer for one (that they would have to steal off an existing harness), tell them we spoke and I'll replace the cage or the harness - whatever they prefer. The cage will certainly be faster.

12. neild

neild Junior Member

um,

forgive my ignorance...but PM means...? personally message? Phone message? uh...Prime Minister? um...pre-menstral...lol...let me know and how to contact you...and i will do just that...i am emailing a picture to the dealer in Sudbury, ON...so he can see it better...but he is two hours away from me...i would have to take a day off work to take it over there...etc...if he had one i could go get it tomorrow...but...anyway...hit me back with the 'how to'...and we will go from there...

i will still fire him off an email with the picture of that spring cage thing...it's got to be that.

neil

13. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

You must not have enough posts yet to get PM (Private Message) privliges on plow site yet. E-mail me at smoorman@buyersproducts.com.

If you're in Canada I can't even UPS SATURDAY you the part as I don't think there is such a thing over the border. Let me know what I can do.

14. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Now I'm rereading - are we talking about the connector at the grill? The big black one?

That would have no impact on the controller (the controller should power on with the plow unplugged).

15. neild

neild Junior Member

yeah,

the male end of the connector is on the plow and female on the truck...the male end with the two prongs in it...have the spring cage on them...one of the cages is not on...

i thought there should be power too...at least with a red light indicating not connected...but cant get the unit to power up?

my dodge dealer does all my work on my truck...should i take this to them with the wiring schematics...if it is something simple i would hate to waste all that time driving to sudbury, waiting and then driving back...7 hours plus...when it was something simple...of course the SD dealership (in Sudbury) is saying don't take it over there...

but it's not his day of work being missed and if it was something trivial...that's a lot of time wasted...i did have an appt with my dodge dealership this morning...but canceled it because the snow dogg dealer said they might screw it up...

i just need this thing working...now what...take pictures? send them...take it to dodge? take a day off and go to sudbury? damn...

n

16. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Let's seperate the issues then - the controller has nothing to do with the spring cage. The plow might work without the spring cage (maybe you'd see it drop in out when the connector shakes) - you'll definitely want to get that fixed.

The controller is fed by a red or red/white wire with an in-line 10A fuse. Get a test light on that wire and make sure you're getting power. Follow the wire to the WHITE CONTROLLER CONNECTOR and check for power there (Unplug the controller and check the pins that the RED/WHITE wires go to)

If you have no power there, then the fuse is blown, or the fuse that you tapped in to is blown. That is your problem.

if you have power there, check the black wire for GROUND. If you don't have GROUND, go under the hood - that black wire is the same one connected to the motor solenoid AND to a ground (either chassis or battery). It could be that that connection is bad. Jumper a wire between the battery ground and that black wire (for troubleshooting).

Since you had a plow that worked, and now it does't, the fuse (either ours or the trucks) is much more likely - but you've said you already checked the fuses. If our 10A fuse is blown, you can replace it with a 15A without hurting anything - on some specific vehicles that can help.

If you are getting power and ground, then it could be a bad controller - but a controller that doesn't power up at all is very rare.

Scott

17. PlowingMI

PlowingMI Senior Member

update on controller issue???

Wondering if you have an update to your controller issue?

I just had a similar problem and thought that my controller went bad. Turns out the connection that taps my fuse box for ignition power caught fire!!!!! Took it to the dealer and the replaced the connection and could not explain why this happened, and everything is back up and running.

I would suggest looking at the wire that powers your relays to see if that is the culprit.

Scott - have you seen any issues with fires starting from this tapped power source?
    I attached a pic of the fried connection.

DSCN1927.JPG

18. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I would say the connector got hot, not on fire. Typically you see this if the connection is not tight and arcs. Otherwise it could be water in the connector and arcs (could snow from your boots fling to the connector).

19. PlowingMI

PlowingMI Senior Member

It would be near impossible for snow to get behind the door to the panel. and it is now hard to say if the connection was loose. It has been replaced and is tight now. The dealer is not able to say that it won't happen again.

20. bighornsudbury

bighornsudbury Junior Member

just take it to Les at drivetec in sudbury, I am having controller issues with mine, he had the problem isolates in the matter of minutes, if its still under warranty best to let the SD dealer deal with it