1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

V's. Do they do a good job?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Jan 14, 2001.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i was just wondering what you guys think of the quality of the plow job the v-plow gives. most people here seem to say that the v plows are the best things out there. i can see how they would be great for pushing snow in tight areas and the manuverability, but i talked to one guy today whos plowed for years, and he said some of his customers dont like him plowing with the new V because when its in the V position and you go on some uneven pavement it doesnt scrap as well. i can see what they mean because with it in the V position it wont be able to flex as well on uneven pavement.
    any ideas or suggestions?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I see no appreciable difference between the two type of plows. We also use the urethane edge with our v plows, and that helps with un even asphalt. But to be honest, even with a straight plow, it wont help to much on uneven asphalt. The blade will just ride over the low spots.
    Dino

3. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

I had never heard about vplows before my first time i came here. Now i remember few years ago i saw one. I seriously think about that for next years. We add hydraulics side wings to our plows and a lot of weight BTW. I'll probably save some money too due to this expensive add on 8' Fisher versus a factory vplows.

the cons..when the wings (2'each) are open, its scrape on 12'.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I almost never use the V position, except to open a path into a lot through the highway plow windrow, or to do a walk way, or to make the frist cut down a long driveway if it's blown in or we've had a lot of snow. I use it like any straight blade a lot of the time, the scoop position is the big difference, for both moving snow, stacking, and clean up.

Bill

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Stacking ability is awesome. I easily get piles higher than the roof of my truck. I can count on one hand how many times I have used the v position, but whne I do use it, it comes in handy.
    Dino

6. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

didnt want to get too off the topic, but has anyone seen a CITY that uses v plows? I never have seen any and was wondering if any do or dont use them.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The city's all use Ford trucks and Meyer plows too,becasue they are cheap,not the best.The go with lowest bidder usually.So that puts V-plows out,only private contractors make money during a snow storm to pay for the V-plow

8. plowguy06

plowguy06 Member
    from Ohio

i talked to my city's fleet manager and he said they could get any of the trucks on the state bid but fords are cheapest. as for plows, I dont know b/c they use fisher, meyer and gledhill but my city has 10 big trucks and 15 small dumps/pickups.

9. eskals

eskals Member

I have seen a Livonia, Michigan DPW truck with a V-plow mounted on a 1-ton dump. Thats the only one I have seen around here. The college that I go to uses alot of chevys with Meyer plows, although the newer trucks are all Fords (still with Meyers though).

Eric

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

In the Boston area the towns with money use Ford PSD's with Fisher plows (never seen any V-plows though). The towns without much money usually use 3/4 ton GM's with gassers and a meyer or pathfinder plow. All have an assortment of larger trucks like 4900 International or Ford F800's.